I don’t know which Salinity tester to trust

JulesH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The key with the hanna checker (any instrument in fact) is to keep it calibrated, mine drifts over a quite short period of time. Now I use the Tropic Marin high precision hydrometer, not as convenient as a Hanna checker but as long as you can read off the scale correctly it's easy.

allieW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you can do a home experiment to find out. Just get a 2 gallon bucket fill it up to exactly 2 gallons and then pour exactly 1 cup of salt. In theory we know that the mixture creates a salinity of 1.026. And use that as a baseline to test the ice cap and Hannah to see which is more accurate.
You can get the britewell calibration liquid. It will help you know 4 sure what is accurate.

Key Largo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of differing opinions here. I’ll just add a few of mine:

1. Exact salinity is not critical for reef aquarium use.

2. Nearly any device we use can and should be checked for accuracy. Some can be calibrated and some you can just determine an offset to use manually.

3. High quality conductivity meters are expensive, are very accurate if properly calibrated (when possible) and have uses that are not readily performed with other devices (kalkwasser potency, acclimation salinity in real time, etc).
Have to agree with Randy here. On his advice/recommendation, originally having to do with Kalk saturation, I purchased a conductivity meter and never looked back. The easiest thing to use and calibrate, and has multiple uses (salinity/kalk). Pinpoint makes a reasonably priced one.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to agree with Randy here. On his advice/recommendation, originally having to do with Kalk saturation, I purchased a conductivity meter and never looked back. The easiest thing to use and calibrate, and has multiple uses (salinity/kalk). Pinpoint makes a reasonably priced one.

Which one did you purchase?

djkms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hanna Salinity tester for me

212118-hannainstruments-salinitytester-testing-an.jpg

it is the only tester on the market that measures a tenth of a point in PPT that I am aware of. Since I have a large system this is critical for me. A couple gallon difference in my system is only .1ppt which most testers can't test for. going from 1.027 to 1.026 is probably 20+ gallons and that's a really big correction.

I will say though, it drifts and needs to be recalibrated often. I recalibrate every month and may switch to every 2 weeks. I will also say to use Randy's DIY calibration solution, its basically free. It is the only solution that matched perfectly to ICP. The Hanna solution was 1ppt lower:

Salinity - 34.5 Hanna | 35.6 DIY | 1.026.5 Refract | 35.6 Oceamo ICP-MS

One thing to keep in mind in my opinion. We are not measuring the salt content of the water (sodium chloride). We are measuring the total amount of ions in the water. Your calcium content is different at 34ppt then it is at 35ppt. So is your magnesium, potassium, strontium, etc, etc. This is why its important to keep this consistent as it plays an important role in all your elements.

robottaway

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a $17 refractometer with two calibration fluids to dial it in. Have tested many times and it has held settings without fail. Reef is happy so not gonna sweat perfect. Hydrometer is the way to go IMO if you want that, I just don’t use one right now only have a low volume tank.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will note that it most likely will require you to shut off your powerheads in order to work correctly (calm water). That’s the only “complaint” I’ve got. The only equipment I have that I have 100% confidence in every time.

It is a fragile device. I wouldn't float it in the display. Purchase a 500 ml glass cylinder like the image below of your choice and use that. Easy enough to fill up with tank water or freshly made, test, and what not.

1726585116591.png

OP
OP
Christine Rawlings

Christine Rawlings

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a fragile device. I wouldn't float it in the display. Purchase a 500 ml glass cylinder like the image below of your choice and use that. Easy enough to fill up with tank water or freshly made, test, and what not.

1726585116591.png
I just purchased 2 of these! One for each tank :)

OP
OP
Christine Rawlings

Christine Rawlings

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna Salinity tester for me

212118-hannainstruments-salinitytester-testing-an.jpg

it is the only tester on the market that measures a tenth of a point in PPT that I am aware of. Since I have a large system this is critical for me. A couple gallon difference in my system is only .1ppt which most testers can't test for. going from 1.027 to 1.026 is probably 20+ gallons and that's a really big correction.

I will say though, it drifts and needs to be recalibrated often. I recalibrate every month and may switch to every 2 weeks. I will also say to use Randy's DIY calibration solution, its basically free. It is the only solution that matched perfectly to ICP. The Hanna solution was 1ppt lower:

Salinity - 34.5 Hanna | 35.6 DIY | 1.026.5 Refract | 35.6 Oceamo ICP-MS

One thing to keep in mind in my opinion. We are not measuring the salt content of the water (sodium chloride). We are measuring the total amount of ions in the water. Your calcium content is different at 34ppt then it is at 35ppt. So is your magnesium, potassium, strontium, etc, etc. This is why its important to keep this consistent as it plays an important role in all your elements.
I ended up buying the high precision hydrometer so now I can compare it to my Hannah checker and know when it needs to be calibrated. I feel more confident with having both of them now.

RWReefer

Funding a new addiction
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1726585116591.png
This was mentioned earlier and one has been purchased and received. Definitely makes things much easier. Appreciate the heads up!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back