I am gutted, brand new reefer G2 525 tank covered in small scratches from flipper. Looking for some advice on how to remove the scratches

AI Nero 5

hart24601

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only use plastic blades for glass now with the occasional metal for stubborn areas. I have had metal blades from many brands scratch glass over the years even removing the mag after use and bare bottom tanks. Some may use metal blades for years and not have issues, awesome for them, but I scratched custom miracles tanks, WB, marineland, IM…. You get the idea. Scratched with tunze, flippers, and another expensive brand I can’t remember. All the tanks were low iron glass, never had regular scratch but I have not had one of those in a long time

I tried to sand one of the miracles tanks out maybe 10 years ago. It really didn’t work well and was a ton of work. Ime just accept the scratches unless they are very light and use a plastic blade for general cleaning removing it after use.

I like the tunze plastic blades over the flippers plastic. Ime metal is just too risky since a scratch can happen for seemingly no reason you can think of and once done it’s done.

I know it’s a bummer but it happens to many people so you’re not alone.

Nutramar Foods

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It amazes me that people continue to use magnetic cleaners. I learned my lesson on my first tank with a mag float. Destroyed the tank with scratches. This is what I use.
Screen Shot 2023-02-05 at 3.20.54 PM.png

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

albano

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me and my wife are already discussing replacing the tank if we can't polish them out

Anywho, I think we will attempt to polish it. If it doesn't work, we will replace the tank.
Go ahead and order your new ACRYLIC tank… acrylic scratches can be repaired, glass scratches are forever!

For people using metal/razor blades, I used my Dremel with the sander bit and round off the 90* corners, much less chance of scratching the tank.

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Black Label Aquatics
Back