Hyposalinty VS Medications

Reef Wizard

Octopus Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to start a discussion regarding Hyposalinity VS Medications.

I know there is specific use cases as hypo doesnt cure everything.

To name a few hypo doesnt treat bacterial infections, Velvet, Brook, or Uronema.

Disclaimer: This is not a thread on hypo itself its more of a when to implement. Thread to Hypo By Jay linked here https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/hyposalinity.880546/

For example: Say we know a fish has Ich or flukes. (Dare I say arguably the two most common ailments in aquatics.) Why use a Copper based medicine for Ich or if flukes why use Praziquantel based medicine.

Just been thinking lately on this and decided to post to get a more educated answer and possibly help someone in the future.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Argument for copper in a QT situation is to cover some of the things mentioned. Hypo is usually recommended in situations where copper isn't an option. Whether inability to move to a seperate tank or adverse response to the copper itself.

The quarantine method used here is to cover everything possible. Recommending hypo as a quarantine method would either mean a diagnosis was already made, or things could be missed.

OP
OP
Reef Wizard

Reef Wizard

Octopus Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Argument for copper in a QT situation is to cover some of the things mentioned. Hypo is usually recommended in situations where copper isn't an option. Whether inability to move to a seperate tank or adverse response to the copper itself.

The quarantine method used here is to cover everything possible. Recommending hypo as a quarantine method would either mean a diagnosis was already made, or things could be missed.
Any input regarding flukes? Especially since prazi doesn't kill just makes them detach from fish.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I just want to start a discussion regarding Hyposalinity VS Medications.

I know there is specific use cases as hypo doesnt cure everything.

To name a few hypo doesnt treat bacterial infections, Velvet, Brook, or Uronema.

Disclaimer: This is not a thread on hypo itself its more of a when to implement. Thread to Hypo By Jay linked here https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/hyposalinity.880546/

For example: Say we know a fish has Ich or flukes. (Dare I say arguably the two most common ailments in aquatics.) Why use a Copper based medicine for Ich or if flukes why use Praziquantel based medicine.

Just been thinking lately on this and decided to post to get a more educated answer and possibly help someone in the future.
Hypo is not for every fish and can impact some fish with stress and evenb death. Coppersafe, a chelated form is a safer form to use opposed to ionic version- Cupramine
Jay has written something on this and I recommend hypo often as a last method.

OP
OP
Reef Wizard

Reef Wizard

Octopus Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hypo is not for every fish and can impact some fish with stress and evenb death. Coppersafe, a chelated form is a safer form to use opposed to ionic version- Cupramine
Jay has written something on this and I recommend hypo often as a last method.
Deep water fish would probably fit the description on this. Is there a list anywhere that has a hyposafe not safe. It would benefit those unaware and also for fish that don't handle certain meds well

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deep water fish would probably fit the description on this. Is there a list anywhere that has a hyposafe not safe. It would benefit those unaware and also for fish that don't handle certain meds well

I’ve not seen a list of hypo sensitive fish.

One issue I see are fish with liver or kidney disease may get worse edema during hypo, but those diseases are often fatal eventually anyway.

OP
OP
Reef Wizard

Reef Wizard

Octopus Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve not seen a list of hypo sensitive fish.

One issue I see are fish with liver or kidney disease may get worse edema during hypo, but those diseases are often fatal eventually anyway.
Can meds be used with hyposalinty? I would think its not recommended as it could cause extra stress on the fish.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can meds be used with hyposalinty? I would think its not recommended as it could cause extra stress on the fish.

I try not to combine medications with hypo. Copper, in particular, is more toxic to freshwater fish than marine fish, so I would expect to see higher toxicity during hyposalinity due to lower hardness of the water.

You can use praziquantel on fish during hypo, but since hypo controls flukes well, prazi is kind of redundant (unless you are using it to treat tapeworms).

Then - oddly enough, marine fish drink water in response to how salty their water is, and they drink less what while in hypo. That means that some medications, such as metronidazole and antibiotics, do not get inside the fish as readily during hypo as they do in full saltwater.

OP
OP
Reef Wizard

Reef Wizard

Octopus Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try not to combine medications with hypo. Copper, in particular, is more toxic to freshwater fish than marine fish, so I would expect to see higher toxicity during hyposalinity due to lower hardness of the water.

You can use praziquantel on fish during hypo, but since hypo controls flukes well, prazi is kind of redundant (unless you are using it to treat tapeworms).

Then - oddly enough, marine fish drink water in response to how salty their water is, and they drink less what while in hypo. That means that some medications, such as metronidazole and antibiotics, do not get inside the fish as readily during hypo as they do in full saltwater.
Thank you sir that is really informative

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back