Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this is the wrong thread to post in but seemed like the most general place to ask, how do our fellow reefers in humid climates control mold/mildew which happens due to high humidity in there home when our reefs don’t do much towards solving the issue but rather add to it. I know dehumidifiers are a option but just asking around at how others handle the inevitable.

Top Shelf Aquatics

KrisReef

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our heat pump has a function to control humidity. We didn't get it for that function so I can't say how well it would work in high humidity areas. We had a dehumidifier when we did and it helped.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Sorry if this is the wrong thread to post in but seemed like the most general place to ask, how do our fellow reefers in humid climates control mold/mildew which happens due to high humidity in there home when our reefs don’t do much towards solving the issue but rather add to it. I know dehumidifiers are a option but just asking around at how others handle the inevitable.
Humidity occurs in sense of water loss and is controlled by circulation, fan and as mentioned dehumidifier

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humidity is a problem for me during the colder months. I have an old plaster house and especially on very cold days I would get condensation on the walls and windows. Now the windows were changed to Anderson's in the 80's, containing e-glass, but that still didn't help with condensation on those cold days:

1677960509108.png

So I now run four dehumidifiers during the winter....one large one in the fish room (on the first floor), one in the dining room and one each in the upstairs bedrooms. Fall, spring and summer these get turner off.....not an issue.

So I'm going the say my problem isn't so much humidity, it's condensation....and yes, the cold closet in the fishroom has mold on the walls.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humidity is a problem for me during the colder months. I have an old plaster house and especially on very cold days I would get condensation on the walls and windows. Now the windows were changed to Anderson's in the 80's, containing e-glass, but that still didn't help with condensation on those cold days:

View attachment 3048697

So I now run four dehumidifiers during the winter....one large one in the fish room (on the first floor), one in the dining room and one each in the upstairs bedrooms. Fall, spring and summer these get turner off.....not an issue.

So I'm going the say my problem isn't so much humidity, it's condensation....and yes, the cold closet in the fishroom has mold on the walls.
Yeah we run a huge dehumidifier and crack windows but still ended up getting mold on my brand new memory foam mattress due to the tanks mixed with good old South Carolina humidity lol.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah we run a huge dehumidifier and crack windows but still ended up getting mold on my brand new memory foam mattress due to the tanks mixed with good old South Carolina humidity lol.

Oh, it's that Columbia. :cool: Yep, my sister lives in Okatie, SC (Lowcountry), and I still don' t know how my father was able to handle the heat and humidity, having gone through Parris Island in June. Mighty hot and humid in SC, especially in the summer. Your choice is dehumidification with AC when the heat gets bad. My son-in-law, who doesn't have a fishtank, runs his dehumidifier in he summer with his whole house AC, and according to him, helps with the AC bill.

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, it's that Columbia. :cool: Yep, my sister lives in Okatie, SC (Lowcountry), and I still don' t know how my father was able to handle the heat and humidity, having gone through Parris Island in June. Mighty hot and humid in SC, especially in the summer. Your choice is dehumidification with AC when the heat gets bad. My son-in-law, who doesn't have a fishtank, runs his dehumidifier in he summer with his whole house AC, and according to him, helps with the AC bill.
Yep you get it haha. My house sits around 85% humidity with open windows ac running and a $500 dehumidifier which does indeed pull 6 gallons of water a day out of the air….smh. Probably something to do with a 800 square foot living space having a combined 1000 gallons of water in it at all times that just does not mix to well haha. And respect for Paris island, idk how y’all do it I use to work construction out here and we would have guys being hospitalized due to the heat come late June early July, and as a lot of people know in construction it’s 90% standing around lol.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back