Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added my first fishes into the tank (firefish and banggai cardinal) and they always go into hiding (banggai cardinal hides behind the rocks while firefish hides between the rocks) whenever the powerheads are on. When I turned them off, they go off exploring the tank like usual. I have a controllable remote for both of my powerheads, but even at the lowest setting, it's still too strong. I tried pointing the powerhead upwards and towards the glass, but they still go into hiding. Any fixes to this problem?

It's a 55 gallon tank and there are 2 powerheads on the left and the right side of the tank (opposite sides). Should I get rid of one of the powerheads or should I glue filter foam on the powerhead to reduce the flow? Or would that not really do anything?

Thanks for any advice.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t glue anything, but putting something around the pump like craft mesh (use zip ties, not glue) will reduce the flow. If it’s still too high, use something finer that will block more flow. You could also block the flow with your rock scape which will create areas of lower flow.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
P

poaks

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try taking one out or adjusting them so the flow either points more down/up or put one on the back wall.
I did turned one off and faced the other one against the glass and the banggai cardinal did come out from behind the rock to explore every now and then, but goes back behind the rock after a while meanwhile I haven't seen the firefish in like 2-3 hours now. Is this normal banggai cardinal and red firefish behavior?

OP
OP
P

poaks

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t glue anything, but putting something around the pump like craft mesh (use zip ties, not glue) will reduce the flow. If it’s still too high, use something finer that will block more flow. You could also block the flow with your rock scape which will create areas of lower flow.
Instead of craft mesh, would filter floss work (I would cut it in half horizontally to make it more tinner)? I'll try putting the flow against my rock scape and I'll see how it goes.

Is it normal for a red firefish to be so "skiddish" I haven't seen him in like 2-3 hours now, but the banggai cardinals comes out every now and then, is this normal?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they’re just cheap power heads you can trim the impellers down to reduce flow… I’ve done this numerous times and works great and is a permanent fix! Pricier ones you could do the same but you’ll never get more flow back without new impellers lol..

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Aqua SD
Back