Question about water flow direction

knowbody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Returning to the herd after many years. (Kids are grown now). I have a 32G Biocube. 40lb rock in the middle. I have powerheads (sicce voyager nano x2) on both sides pointed into the rock. Thinking it would be good to maximize flow through the rock. But as I’m thinking about adding corals, I feel like I should redirect them to be more circular. See sketches for existing and proposed new. Or maybe I should do something totally different. Thoughts?

IMG_0067.jpeg IMG_0068.jpeg IMG_1224.jpeg

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I like to always have at least one powerhead pointed at the water surface.

Which size are you voyagers? I use 2 sicce voyager nano's on my 15 gallon of 530 gph each, you should be using the bigger size on your tank.

OP
OP
K

knowbody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I like to always have at least one powerhead pointed at the water surface.

Which size are you voyagers? I use 2 sicce voyager nano's on my 15 gallon of 530 gph each, you should be using the bigger size on your tank.
I appreciate the reply. They are both the Voyager Nano 2000 (530 gph). Currently the return pump from the overflow is pointed at the surface for water agitation. Granted it is only rated at 265 gph. If I redirect one of the sicce’s toward the surface, Would you redirect the overflow pump down? Or keep them both toward the surface?

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were my tank, I'd start with one lower in the tank, and one higher, and then pointing in a way that they create circular flow in opposite directions around the rock island....

So essentially your 2nd image, but have the Fan 2 higher and pointing to go circular flow clockwise.

OP
OP
K

knowbody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were my tank, I'd start with one lower in the tank, and one higher, and then pointing in a way that they create circular flow in opposite directions around the rock island....

So essentially your 2nd image, but have the Fan 2 higher and pointing to go circular flow clockwise.
I like this idea. The counter flows would create more fluid turbulence and chaotic randomness. Plus one toward the top would also help with more surface agitation.

So, follow up dumb question as I was looking at the arrangement this morning. I didn’t even think about the fact that the mounting magnet is on the outside of the tank. To mount the pumps on the back of the tank, the “external” magnet portion would be inside the overflow area (submerged). They look like they’re sealed, but I don’t know if it’s okay to submerge them? I’ve been googling and looking at the sicce documentation but I can’t find a definitive answer. (This type of magnetic mounting wasn’t a thing 20 years ago haha). Do you know if they’re okay to submerge?

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a good question, and I'm not sure. You may need to fire up a new thread to get answers on it.

I'd be hesitant myself, but if you go for it, I'd just plan on checking them periodically to make sure they are holding up.

OP
OP
K

knowbody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a good question, and I'm not sure. You may need to fire up a new thread to get answers on it.

I'd be hesitant myself, but if you go for it, I'd just plan on checking them periodically to make sure they are holding up.
I went to the source. This is from Sicce's customer support:

Thanks for writing in! This is Erin from Customer Support. Great question! Yes, you are safe to submerge the external magnet plate :)

Please let me know if you need any further assistance!

Best Regards,
Sicce Customer Service

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow should be chaotic. Your first picture demonstrates that.

The second picture will give the result similar to that of a stirring pot. This causes debris to end up in the center. In your case, that means it will end up in your rock work and will be nearly impossible to keep clean.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back