Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so i see a lot of ppl wasting money on buying a wireless adapter to connect to their Controllers.. this step-by-step will show you how to create a wireless adapter with an extra home router.. basically you're replacing the router's firmware with dd-wrt's

Things you need:

Old/New router - see link for compatibility Router Database | www.dd-wrt.com (for this demonstration i'm using a Linksys WRT54G, you can also look on craigslist for a cheap used router)
Your current router (will act as the host)
Ethernet Cord

c1729f58.jpg

Tip: always a good idea to reset the router you're turning into the wireless adapter.. for most brands there is a reset button at the back...

e9c8f92c.jpg

Steps:
1 - Upgrading the router firmware to dd-wrt

1-1: Download dd-wrt software.. you can get the software by following this link.. after entering your router into it will give you a link to download the firmware..
1-2: Hook up your router to you computer using the Ethernet cable in and of the LAN ports (ports labeled 1-4)
1-3: Enter your routers address into your browser and enter the credentials.. it will be either http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.2.1
1-4: Navigate to the firmware update section; then click browse and select the downloaded firmware then click upgrade
NOTE: very important do not disrupt the upgrade process or you may brick your router..
1-5: After the upgrade/update the dd-wrt credentials are:
login: root
password: admin

here is some video's i found on youtube that may help also
YouTube - [How To] Install Custom Firmware DD-WRT on Linksys Router
YouTube - Installing DD-WRT on a Linksys WRT54G v2 Router

2 - Configure the router to be a wireless adapter to receive a wireless signal

2-1: Now navigate to the management console via http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.2.1 depending on the model
2-2: log in using the dd-wrt credentials in step 1-5
2-3: Select the Wireless then Basic Settings tab
2-4: Change Wireless Mode to Client Bridge , change Wireless Network Name (SSID) to your wireless name of the host then press the Save Settings button
2-5: Select Wireless then Wireless Security tab
2-6: Enter wireless security settings of your wireless host and press the Save Settings button.
2-7: Select Setup then Basic Setup tab
2-8: Change Local IP Address to 192.168.1.2
2-9: Change Subnet Mask to 255.255.255.0
2-10: Change Gateway to Host router’s Local IP 192.168.1.1
2-11: Change Local DNS to Host router’s Local IP 192.168.1.1
2-12: Click on save then apply settings.. the router may reboot..
2-13: Optional goto the Security tab and Disable Firewall and uncheck all boxes..
2-14: Goto Setup, Advance Routing change Operating Mode to Router
2-15: Save and Apply Settings and you're done..

YouTube - DD-WRT Router Client Bridge Tutorial (Simple and Easy)
YouTube - DD-WRT Client And Repeater Setup (you'll need to use the Client Bridge option in the 2nd 1/2 of the video)

Now you have a wireless/gaming adapter that only costs $20-$30 and can support up to 4 devices.. rather than spending $60-$120 on a dedicated adapter that only supports 1 device...

Last edited:
AS

subielover

Renegade reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting, I have been thinking of buying a wireless gaming adapter to get my ACIII online but this seems even cheaper. I just checked an old router I had laying around and of course it isn't supported, going to call a few people to see if I can track down one that is compatible. So basically, after it is set-up you would have to plug it in to the controller itself, but would the ethernet cable still need to be plugged in?

I apologize for the, most likely, dumb questions but I am not very computer savvy. Thanks.

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had better luck using this to flash my router/access points.
TFTP flash - DD-WRT Wiki

yeah but not too many ppl will be able/comfortable with TFTP

Very interesting, I have been thinking of buying a wireless gaming adapter to get my ACIII online but this seems even cheaper. I just checked an old router I had laying around and of course it isn't supported, going to call a few people to see if I can track down one that is compatible. So basically, after it is set-up you would have to plug it in to the controller itself, but would the ethernet cable still need to be plugged in?

I apologize for the, most likely, dumb questions but I am not very computer savvy. Thanks.

the dd-wrt router will act as a wireless Ethernet cable hooked up to your main router.. so all you have to do is place the devices into it and not have a very long cable running across you house..

iani

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah but not too many ppl will be able/comfortable with TFTP

the dd-wrt router will act as a wireless Ethernet cable hooked up to your main router.. so all you have to do is place the devices into it and not have a very long cable running across you house..

True, I had to brick a router (or thought I bricked a router) before thinking about even trying tftp. On certain routers flashing it the normal route can render them useless a good percent of the time. The good news is that if it happens to you, you still have a good chance flashing it through tftp.

AS

sdsocal

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job and read on this.

Not trying to be Captain Obvious, but I glanced over the thread and didn't see it mentioned that the "Home Router" to be used needs to be a Wireless Router. I know it seems obvious, but thought I would just mention it.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Ericm1205

Clownfish Hoarder
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my Linksys WRT600n was crapping out alot on me and would lock up DDWRT is a great program to use. now my router is awesome once again. i seen my router go for $400 with DD WRT on it. crazy. i paid $100 for it used.
if you want to make your router faster then not only make the adapter with an old router, but i would DD WRT any router you have to unlock its potential.

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude this should definitely be a sticky post.. I am saving it when I get my controller in sometime in the near future. Thanks so much man!

Yes, I agree, this should be a sticky post. I was just looking at gaming adapters. Pretty sure I have an old linkskys somewhere around here.

Thanks guys. I submitted it to the mods. Hopefully they'll thinks it's worthy also.

greg0385

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice write up. i was regretting having to drill a 1/2"hole behind my tv to run a ethernet cable from router to the xbox, then another behind my tank so i can hook up my controller. this is might be a good option for me to use in the future. thanks again.

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice write up. i was regretting having to drill a 1/2"hole behind my tv to run a ethernet cable from router to the xbox, then another behind my tank so i can hook up my controller. this is might be a good option for me to use in the future. thanks again.

Yeah but even if you knew about doing this I would of still ran your xbox off Ethernet. Better performance for fragging newbs.

cdness

2006 - Present
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same thing to one of my many old Linksys routers. Watch Garage sales or Craigslist. As people start buying the newer N rated wireless they give away or sell super cheap their old (and bulletproof) linksys wireless G routers. DD-WRT has been on my two or three for the past 5 years at least.

Mods - Please sticky this post. It sure makes hooking up controllers to wireless way easier and unfortunately isn't very well known.

"fragging newbs" - HA HA! Is that a new coral fragging game from Xbox?? lol.

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"fragging newbs" - HA HA! Is that a new coral fragging game from Xbox?? lol.

Lol sorry had salt on the brain. It should fracking up newbs......

And the old WRT G routers are bullet proof. And yes you could flash a N router to do this but it won't help much. The controller isn't a device that need plenty of bandwidth.

Gpkozmp

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay a quick question about trying to understand this. I am wanting to do this however I am wondering, does this take the place for my RKL Net module?

In question I could mount this to my fish tank and this will relay the information to the internet via the router and I will be able to control everything just like if I bought the net module?

If I am wong could someone please correct me and help me undertand exactly what this would do for me. Thank you for your time.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay a quick question about trying to understand this. I am wanting to do this however I am wondering, does this take the place for my RKL Net module?

In question I could mount this to my fish tank and this will relay the information to the internet via the router and I will be able to control everything just like if I bought the net module?

If I am wong could someone please correct me and help me undertand exactly what this would do for me. Thank you for your time.

The RKL-NET requires a wired connection via Ethernet cable. This router would act as a wireless bridge and would plug into your RKL-NET so that you don't have to run an ethernet cable.

Last edited:

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

PremiumAquatics.com
Back