How to tell if clams are dying or healthy!?

LunarBastet

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to keep steamer clams alive. I have never kept an aquarium before. I have an air stone, a marine land canister filter, LEDs, salt water, and they are in a tote which is serving as my tank. One clams foot has turned a black color but the clam is closed. Idk if it is dead or alive? Another clam looks like there is a bubble or something protruding from where it would open. Idk what is going on please help! The only pet stores here only consist of petco and loyal companion so no knowledge of sea life. Thank you!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let see if we can get you and answer :)

Upvote 0

OrionN

Anemones
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steamer clams require cooler water than in our tank. They are also filter feeder that won’t last long in out tank even if we get the temperature cold enough.
They are just going to die and pollute your tank. They also don’t “filter to get your tank clean”. Basically they, even if we can get them to live, are net producer of nutrient rather than the animals that are photosynthetic that are net user of nutrients.
NO STEAMER CLAMS IN REEF TANKS OTHER THAN KEEP IT THERE TEMPORARILY SO THAT YOU CAN BE OPEM THEM UP LATER AND FEED YOUR FISH.

Upvote 0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
BSA
Back