How to remove any pests from live rock before introducing into new tank?

BigWillStyle

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting a 2nd tank and would like to move some of the aquascape and help it cycle faster. My only issue is that my fully cycled original tank has seen its ups and downs and has a flatworm or two and some pineapple sponges and other undesirables. Is there a way to "dip" my live rock like my coral to remove all the pests? Any tricks for removing pests but keeping the good bacteria/algae?

Nutramar Foods

KKY

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I heard people ‘cure’ live rock by putting it in a dark container add heater and pump, let it sit for maybe couple month, so to starve any hitchhikers to death.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fresh batch of Aussie coming soon. IME many of the hitchhikers will die in transit or be found in the bottom of the shipping box in any remaining water. After that just setting up a container with pump, heater, light and letting it cook a while. I'll likely cheat and use a bottle of bacteria for a quick cycle but when the container spikes ammonia and nitrites it will likely kill a lot of stuff. It really depends on the condition of the rock when I get it i.e. already decaying or not. Beyond that point it remains to be seen but stuff can be picked off and worst case dipped. Don't think CoralRx kills most critters but makes them jump ship. Bacteria not sure.

Avast

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back