Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I have to trek to NYC to buy livestock. Most of the LPS have algae problems. Tanks, corals, and the fish have had bubble and hair algae. Some corals were covered, and their response was " that's the way they come, you just don't know!" Buy on line, but be careful. I've had good success from BRS, MD, Cherry Corals, and Omega

FishGuyBri

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many people, if any, that lives in the Miami area?

I'm in fort Myers, we don't have a great selection but it's slowly improving. My LFS guy is great but selection is limited because he's small. I love that every time I go in he is cleaning and rearranging things.

OP
OP
govolsguy31

govolsguy31

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to quantify this so you can understand where I am coming from.

So going to petco a random day and time of the week I would agree with you. about 90% of petco's don't know how to properly care for the fish. There are a few that are very good and get the support they need to care for the fish and coral.

Fort Collins, CO Petco is awesome! Almost always has well cared for and healthy fish.

The only time I go to petco is shipment day so I can pick the fish up while they are still in the bag from the shipment. I would never buy a fish that has been in the petco's tanks out here in the DC area. Petco uses the same suppliers that all our brick and mortar fish shops use but they are just much lower priced.
I can respect that. Makes sense.

Crmddp

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go at least once a week if not twice to get water or just look at what they have new. Govolsguy31 I see you aren't to far from me. If you're ever in the Gainesville Va neck of the woods and you get into sps I've started fragging things as they get too big and while one of my LFS does take my trades I have quite a credit to the store and could always use cash instead to fund some new equipment that they don't carry.
IMG_4411.JPG
IMG_4417.JPG

FrankiePuffer

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frankie, Have you tried Aquatic Arts in Highlands Ranch? They have a GREAT selection of corals but typically a limited selection on fish. The store is only pen on Friday or Saturday. The rest of the week the owner is taking care of his tank maintenance customers.
Have not heard of that one. I am currently building a reefer 250 for corals so another source would be great. Thanks for the info.

Moms tank

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you usually go to the same one @Moms tank ?
No I will go to Safari fish Virginia Beach I will go out to hit Newport News and go to the Reef room and there's another place in Hampton that I will look at and also the Petco down at Coliseum Mall in Hampton

FrankiePuffer

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm there daily because I work there. Don't judge, but it's a petco. I'm the senior aquatics guy there. I know that it's not the best place to go for livestock, but I try to keep nice pieces and take good care of them. I also try to share good information with the customers. I know we have a bad reputation and I'm trying to improve that at least in my store. Mine is a magnet store, so I have 4 180 gallon bays that have up to 12 tanks in each as well as a 120 gallon reef tank and a frag tank. I just took over there about 4 months ago and have received a lot of comments from customers about how much it has improved. I'm not the most knowledgeable person in some areas, but I try my best to do right by the customers and the fish and corals. I've been Redding for almost 10 years.
We had a local gal from our Ft Collins Petco in our office where I maintain the 125 Fish only tank. She was offering suggestions and commenting on how healthy the fish are. She was knowledgeable and really cared about fish. So I base these stores individually no different than I would a LFS. It's the care and attention to detail that matters and the right person in the right position.

GatorScott

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS is Fish2o(Lakeland FL)
Once a week(more if I'm passing by I'll stop just to look around)

The LFS that's an hour away but worth the drive once a month World Wide Corals.

I have a small tank and live in an apt so I don't mix myself. Priority number one for me was consistent properly mixed salt water. So I don't need to worry picking up my water once a week. After that it's in this order

1. Clean tanks with live stock in them!!
2. Selection of useful products.
3. Friendly staff
4. Price.

Hyde2406

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go to my LFS every Saturday after Starbucks lol. I replenish what I need, look at the livestock, and plan. This Saturday, I'm planning on doing a day long road trip to find what other stores are here in ft Myers and surrounding areas...
Creative aquariums in Tampa is great I drive from Sarasota to see them, great prices

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Visit my 1 of my 2 local stores multiple times a week. He had a good selection of fish where as the other guy specializes in coral. Once in a blue moon I will Drive to Aquatics Unlimited In Milwaukee.(67 Miles)

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Reef Breeders
Back