How much will custom build effect gas exchange?

BRS

bleuchzsteve

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am building my tank into my kitchen island and have a plan to have a sliding piece of butcher block over the tank. It will be built in and enclosed at the top. My question is will this mess up the gas exchange ? I’m planning to have a small gap at the top for ventilation and will make sure to have an aerator pumping in some fresh air to the enclosed part. I’m wondering if this will be ok

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
bleuchzsteve

bleuchzsteve

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my 150-gallon FOWLR tanks with glass lids, if that helps you make any comparisons with your idea for a butcher block top (if I’m following you correctly). I do run skimmers.
Yea that helps, how much ventilation do you have on the glass ?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually have the lids cracked open by the width of a power cord. But know that the inside of the lids (with lights on top) grow some slight algae, and can get a bit ‘gunked’ up. If you have a butcher block as a top to your tank, how will you also have lights? And wouldn’t the underside of the butcher block gets salt creep / water grit and slime? Maybe I have the wrong mental picture of this.

OP
OP
bleuchzsteve

bleuchzsteve

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my 150-gallon FOWLR tanks with glass lids, if that helps you make any comparisons with your idea for a butcher block top (if I’m following you correctly). I do run skimmers.
I usually have the lids cracked open by the width of a power cord. But know that the inside of the lids (with lights on top) grow some slight algae, and can get a bit ‘gunked’ up. If you have a butcher block as a top to your tank, how will you also have lights? And wouldn’t the underside of the butcher block gets salt creep / water grit and slime? Maybe I have the wrong mental picture of this.
Yea these are definitely concerns, I’m hoping to mount a piece of plexiglass or plastic underneath the countertop to help from gunk build up…it’s actually Verneer not actually butcher block. As for the lights they will be under the counter top, with the top part of the tank being custom build wood..the countertop mounted to a vanity slide that will slide out to give access to the tank. I’m still not convinced it will work but I’m going to try.

Nutramar Foods
Avast

Lasse

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have nearly airtight lids on my tank, but I run 2 skimmers that facilitate the gas exchange and have no issues with oxygenation in my tank.
Exactly - and sometimes it could be a good thing to hinder the gas exchange at the surface. If you are in a situation with closed and well isolated rooms (to cold or to hot outside) you will get an CO2 problem that lower your tanks pH. If the most gas exchange takes place in the skimmer - you can easily take the skimmer air from the outside - hence avoiding CO2 rich air hitting the aquarium water. Be sure to oversize the skimmer though.

Sincerely Lasse

Aspect

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok, any recommendations for an all in one tank? Ive heard reef Octos are good I guess I need a hang on the back model
Reef Octo's are good but expensive, Bubble Magus are my go to, I would get anything rated for at least 2 times your tank's volume. 3x would be best case if you can afford it, but 2x at least.

Top_Lids

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add to the conversation, it seems that for this countertop build the two things to consider would be heat and gas exchange. The openings on the sides I would have as high as possible so the most heat could escape (if that's your goal). Otherwise can put the openings lower to keep more heat in. The light can go right on under the butcher block, resting on a piece of plexiglass or polycarbonate (the latter recommended as the plexi will most likely warp and craze if the light is this close). Only other piece to the puzzle would be ease of access to clean the light and clear piece fairly often to avoid gunking up the light which can be dangerous. Hope this helps :)

Corals.com
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
WWW.ANIMATEDCORALS.COM
Back