Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggested degass first, then use booster pump to run through entire rodi unit all at once.
It all comes down to ease of use.

If you fill up a 20g brute with RO water, degas it...you are getting 20g of DI water as well.

20g of tap in a brute degassed and pumped back through your system with an expensive pump, you are only making maybe 5 gallons.

Something to think about.

Last edited:
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

theMeat

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not the easiest on the boosters, but they can do it. An 8800 is pretty much maxed out when pushing 2-75gpd membranes at 90psi from 0psi. Can only get 2-100gpd membranes to 80psi from 0psi. Plus the plumbing is annoying.
Since the booster pump gets gravity fed it’s always primed and not starting at 0psi, and wouldn’t recommend running as hi as 80psi. To install the booster pump you simply cut the 1/4” tubing and run it into and out of the pump

theMeat

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all comes down to ease of use.

If you fill up a 20g brute with RO water, degas it...you are getting 20g of DI water as well.

20g of tap in a brute degassed and pumped back through your system with an expensive pump, you are only making maybe 5 gallons.

Something to think about.
Good point. Is it easier to fill a larger bucket or filter in two stages with a wait in between?

BRS

theMeat

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally on my country house that’s on a well we have partial whole house degassing. Partial because it doesn’t remove all the gas all the time, depending on how much and how fast the water is being used. It’s a simple 50 gal plastic tank (cistern) with a pump inside, with a small pvc vent pipe to outside. Some of my neighbors have some sort of recirculating pump in the well itself with a vented well cap.
Either way would probably want to test the water to see what gasses and how much it is

Mike konesky

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the booster pump gets gravity fed it’s always primed and not starting at 0psi, and wouldn’t recommend running as hi as 80psi. To install the booster pump you simply cut the 1/4” tubing and run it into and out of the pump
If you'd actually done this and looked at your pressure dial you would clearly see 0psi before turning the booster pump on. You think gravity or a mag9 is going to create any pressure? Big difference between primed and pressurized. Hook it up and take a look. Until you actually do something its all guessing. Recommending not running at or over 80psi? Yeah...OK lol.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have burned through both my Di resin canisters after about 60 gallons of production from my BRS 6 stage 150gpd. Tds in to di is 5 and tds out is still 0. I’ve learned that the well water I’m using is likely high in CO2 so I will have to “degass” the water. I think building a degassing tower is just about out of my boundaries in this hobby so I think I will go with the method of filling up brute trash can with well water, use air stone to aerate that water, then use a pump to run the water from the trash can through my RODI system and Di resin. What kind of pump would I need for this? And what kind of pump should I use to aerate the water and for how long? Kind of lost here and wondering if anyone can lead me In the right direction with some equipment suggestions or maybe just poke some holes in my plan. Thanks!
To simplify this, you can attach a PVC faucet to the brute can and a run a garden hose fitting to the top thread to the tank and a hose fitting like on a python hose from bottom as a feed from pump inside the brute.

1674948329866.png

Nutramar Foods

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point. Is it easier to fill a larger bucket or filter in two stages with a wait in between?

Mines practically automated so its very easy for me.

And its much easier to make 20g in 2 stages than 5 gallons in 1.

:grinning-face-with-sweat:

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To simplify this, you can attach a PVC faucet to the brute can and a run a garden hose fitting to the top thread to the tank and a hose fitting like on a python hose from bottom as a feed from pump inside the brute.

View attachment 2995683

Trying to visually grasp how this would simplify things vs a hole in the lid with 1/4" tubing passing through.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally on my country house that’s on a well we have partial whole house degassing. Partial because it doesn’t remove all the gas all the time, depending on how much and how fast the water is being used. It’s a simple 50 gal plastic tank (cistern) with a pump inside, with a small pvc vent pipe to outside. Some of my neighbors have some sort of recirculating pump in the well itself with a vented well cap.
Either way would probably want to test the water to see what gasses and how much it is

Nice.

Im not on a well but my tap water has elevated co2 none the less.

That system you got sounds great when its a potable water source for your whole property :cool:

Avast

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Trying to visually grasp how this would simplify things vs a hole in the lid with 1/4" tubing passing through.
Im gathering he wants to run a pump inside the brute and pump out to the tank.
If its from the RO unit to the brute- yes 1/4" tube which is what I used to do then attached an external pump to the tank

Now I run a whole different system:

appleton3.jpg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im gathering he wants to run a pump inside the brute and pump out to the tank.
If its from the RO unit to the brute- yes 1/4" tube which is what I used to do then attached an external pump to the tank

Now I run a whole different system:

View attachment 2995778
So clean. I love it!

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
CLICK TO VIEW

theMeat

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you'd actually done this and looked at your pressure dial you would clearly see 0psi before turning the booster pump on. You think gravity or a mag9 is going to create any pressure? Big difference between primed and pressurized. Hook it up and take a look. Until you actually do something its all guessing. Recommending not running at or over 80psi? Yeah...OK lol.
They’re actually a formula for gravity fed psi. It’s something like 1 psi per 2 feet of height. Then volume/weight and velocity gets added to that.
Building code says 80 psi max. Most membranes are made and rated for gph at 60 psi. Could you go higher, sure. Be careful not to go too hi. My water general rodi is rated for 90, max

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re actually a formula for gravity fed psi. It’s something like 1 psi per 2 feet of height. Then volume/weight and velocity gets added to that.
Building code says 80 psi max. Most membranes are made and rated for gph at 60 psi. Could you go higher, sure. Be careful not to go too hi. My water general rodi is rated for 90, max
If im not mistaken, the only thing that matters in a gravity fed water system is depth of the water and feet of head that is above your source outlet.

The 1 psi per 2 feet of height is roughly correct.

OP
OP
jimmypencil

jimmypencil

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its your lucky day because ive been down this road before. Its actually quite simple.

Step 1. Buy a brute trashcan the size of how much water you would like to make at one time.

Step 2. Use a 3 way bypass valve on your RODI system to be able to split the RO product water from the DI resins. Run tubing into the brute can from this port.

Step 3. Fill up said brute can with your RO water from your system by turning the 3 way valve and diverting the RO water from your RODI system into the can.

Step 4. (Have a beer or 3)

Step 5. Sink a mj style pump (mj1200 works the best) into the brute can and also a small airstone and let both run in the can for 24 hours.

Step 6. Procure these 3 pieces from lowes or home depot to connect your mj style pump to 1/4" tubing

Use a long piece of 1/4" tubing to connect the pump in your bin to the 3 way valve port where you have the outlet from your membrane. Flip the valve position back to normal (cutting off the flow to the RO output to the bin)

Let it rip and enjoy your degassed water!!!!
so just to clarify here, i will be running the well water through the RO filters into a trash can. Aerate with airstone for 24 hours, then use maxi jet 1200 pump to run RO water through di resin and into another trash can.

when you said run the mj 1200 AND airstone for 24 hours, is the airstone attached to the mj1200? or im guessing ill need a seperate air pump? i have a few of these laying around from pod cultures, will one of these work?
1675091921991.png

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
jimmypencil

jimmypencil

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its your lucky day because ive been down this road before. Its actually quite simple.

Step 1. Buy a brute trashcan the size of how much water you would like to make at one time.

Step 2. Use a 3 way bypass valve on your RODI system to be able to split the RO product water from the DI resins. Run tubing into the brute can from this port.

Step 3. Fill up said brute can with your RO water from your system by turning the 3 way valve and diverting the RO water from your RODI system into the can.

Step 4. (Have a beer or 3)

Step 5. Sink a mj style pump (mj1200 works the best) into the brute can and also a small airstone and let both run in the can for 24 hours.

Step 6. Procure these 3 pieces from lowes or home depot to connect your mj style pump to 1/4" tubing

Use a long piece of 1/4" tubing to connect the pump in your bin to the 3 way valve port where you have the outlet from your membrane. Flip the valve position back to normal (cutting off the flow to the RO output to the bin)

Let it rip and enjoy your degassed water!!!!
also, i already have this pump on hand its a mp1200 i use to mix my saltwater, same sizes 3/4" intake 1/2" output, im guessing all the equipment you linked will work with it?
1675094408160.png

Nutramar Foods
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Ultimate Corals
Back