+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have a Fluval 32 gallon and I’m looking to proceed with my next upgrade—lighting.

I am currently using two of the Fluval marine 3.0 led bars, which the top is designed to house. You can see from the photo below, I also fabricated a riser to raise the lid 4” to get the lights away from the surface, as I was difficult to keep the temperature below 81 degrees. I was also a bit concerned regarding the gas exchange with such a tight fitting lid. More details on my tank can be found here

A13EADF2-275D-4E41-A904-6AA6D399F425.jpeg

my current top will be replaced with another canopy that is more aesthetically suitable for a DT in our living room. The canopy is a must, to keep my light-sensitive wife happy.

The tank dimension are

length: 32.5” (light bars of 30“ would be a difficult fit)
width: 15.75”
height: 15.35”

planned height above top of tank: 5” (this can be adjusted a bit) To allow for space above and around the fixtures. Depending on the type of lights I ultimately use, I will also need to address heat dissipation as well.

I am currently keeping various soft and LPS corals. They are growing under the current lights. I will not exclude adding SPS corals in the future.

I am looking for recommendations of suitable lighting.

Thank you.

Nutramar Foods

The_Paradox

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m probably the odd man out here, but I would do 4 T5s. Second choice would probably be 2 Primes. If you do the Primes, or Prime clones, you can angle them back, so all the lights spill goes away from the front of the tank. This “might” allow you to ditch the canopy.

OP
OP
paragrouper

paragrouper

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m probably the odd man out here, but I would do 4 T5s. Second choice would probably be 2 Primes. If you do the Primes, or Prime clones, you can angle them back, so all the lights spill goes away from the front of the tank. This “might” allow you to ditch the canopy.
Oh, I would love to ditch that canopy and buy a nice custom screen—and I’ll fight that battle with my wife, if I have no other choice.

I’ve looked a a 24” 4 bulb T5 fixture by ATI. I have a few questions on the feasibility. First, are they ok sitting 5-6” above tank and second how much heat to they generate, as compared to LED’s. I have the same questions regarding the Primes, particularly the height.

Top Shelf Aquatics

The_Paradox

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tanks with T4s 5” off the water. They put out heat but nothing like MH. T5 or LED if you’re putting light in the tank you’re putting heat. As far as waste heat you can deal with that with a cheap 120mm 12v fan. LEDs if you went with 2, would probably end up 7-8” off the water at least.
If youre ball’n on a budget, these are great. They will slave together and I have everything from Torches to Acro growing under them.

Hooz

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be the really odd man out here and suggest sticking with the 2 Fluval lights you have already. The color mix is actually pretty darned good on those lights.

Put the "Purple" and "Cyan" at 100%, the "Blue" at 75%, PAR test and then add as much white as you need to get the visual appeal you like and make up any PAR difference for what you want to grown. Then just add in some "Pink" to warm up the cold white a bit.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

LA
Back