How many days to fill a proper skimmer cup?

Ecotech Marine

How long should it take to fill a proper sized skimmer cup.

• 1 day

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • 2 days

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • 3 days

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • 5 days

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • 1 week

Votes: 22 29.3%
  • 1.5 weeks

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • Over 2 weeks

Votes: 13 17.3%

• Total voters

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I suppose I should look into it. Emptying the cup allows me to get a feel for the rate and type of skimmate it’s pulling. I just wonder if I had a 5 gallon container to fill on auto whether I’d notice something wrong like if the skimmer goes crazy and pulls 5 gallons of water out in a day which by ato will just replenish and screw my salinity.

Anyone make any cheap flow meters? I suppose multiple level sensors would do the trick too.
You could use something as simple as this for a plug and play solution. If your system is smaller you could use a smaller container like a 1 or 2 gallon bucket to avoid the salinity swing while still reducing your maintenance interval.

workhz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use something as simple as this for a plug and play solution. If your system is smaller you could use a smaller container like a 1 or 2 gallon bucket to avoid the salinity swing while still reducing your maintenance interval.

this one?

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this one?
Yes that one... Sorry I posted the wrong link.

OP
OP
RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would depend on too many factors skimmer size ,
External collection cup such as my Mrc MR2 skimmer .
Agreed, that's why I did the survey. Much easier for someone to say 'am I in the ballpark'. If 56 people (so far) respond with their experience it starts to show some semblance of a pattern inevitably.

*not counting external cups though.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always heard organics break down into phosphates, nitrates, & ammonia. Curious on your perspective as to why you say that then.
Yes, the statement is basically correct. Organic molecules like protein and amino acids break down to give ammonia while cellular membranes, DNA and RNA give up PO4. This breaking down happens inside living organisms which take in organic matter and excrete PO4 and NH3. Controlling the amount NH3 and PO4 by removing organic matter can only work if the removal device, such as a column of GAC or skimmer, works faster than all the organisms in the aquarium. In an aquarium, organic matter is mostly removed by living organisms and that means we deal with the accumulation of inorganic molecules which are mostly not removed by a skimmer or GAC. The skimmer does remove organic molecules that are not readily consumed by living organisms and does reduce the amount of PO4 and NO3, but this is only a fraction of the total PO4 and NO3 that accumulates in the water. You can still have a lively debate about whether a skimmer is even needed for a reef aquarium.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those that use external containers (in addition to the cup), how do you keep the external container from overflowing? At least when a cup overflows it goes into the tank.
I refuse to pay for the pretty but expensive avast setup. I DIY'ed a skimmate external bucket. Works just fine for about 15 bucks. Float switch is tied into my bob on the Apex.
20220102_045900_HDR.jpg

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
11 small to medium sized fish in a 90 gallon. I don't have any really messy fish, like Tangs, in the tank though. My inexpensive Bubble Magnus Curve 7 is set pretty wet in this picture. If I left it like this, it would skim a cup full in 3-4 days. Normally I set it much dryer and get less than a cup per week.

20220127_225426.jpg

OP
OP
RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the statement is basically correct. Organic molecules like protein and amino acids break down to give ammonia while cellular membranes, DNA and RNA give up PO4. This breaking down happens inside living organisms which take in organic matter and excrete PO4 and NH3. Controlling the amount NH3 and PO4 by removing organic matter can only work if the removal device, such as a column of GAC or skimmer, works faster than all the organisms in the aquarium. In an aquarium, organic matter is mostly removed by living organisms and that means we deal with the accumulation of inorganic molecules which are mostly not removed by a skimmer or GAC. The skimmer does remove organic molecules that are not readily consumed by living organisms and does reduce the amount of PO4 and NO3, but this is only a fraction of the total PO4 and NO3 that accumulates in the water. You can still have a lively debate about whether a skimmer is even needed for a reef aquarium.
All seems plausible.

I've ran without both for years on my last system however, I did end up with massive ditritus buildup that later was a problem. Figure if I'm physically adding biomass and algae is converting light to sugar then some kind of export needs happen regardless of the method.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All seems plausible.

I've ran without both for years on my last system however, I did end up with massive ditritus buildup that later was a problem. Figure if I'm physically adding biomass and algae is converting light to sugar then some kind of export needs happen regardless of the method.
Totally agree.

Brian24540

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It occurs to me that skimmers are removing a non-trivial amount of salt water on a steady, regular basis. In all likelihood this is being replaced by fresh water by our ATOs. This would seem to imply a small but steady decrease in salinity - by quite a lot over time.

OP
OP
RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It occurs to me that skimmers are removing a non-trivial amount of salt water on a steady, regular basis. In all likelihood this is being replaced by fresh water by our ATOs. This would seem to imply a small but steady decrease in salinity - by quite a lot over time.
Definitely can be, when I ran a system for several years without water changes I needed to add salt to the tank every 6mo or so.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long does everyone think it should take to fill a proper skimmer cup?

I think it would be a good gage of a skimmers proper sizing & tuning. What's everyone's opinion on this? Why?
Just looked at the survey results. The data seem to indicate that the hobby world dry skims. This not necessarily the best way to use a skimmer but is what the hobby must do if it uses automatic replacement of evaporated water. This seems like an example of automation of one operation leading to the suboptimization of another, skimming.

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Extreme Corals
Back