Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon with 30 pounds of ocean live rock and 20 pounds of dry rock, i also have a 30 gallon sump with a around 10 gallon refugium that i just seeded with a algae barn refugium kit. how long will it take for there to be enough pods for a dragonet?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unless you have a refugium never unless you want to add 100 bags of pods a month
No fuge here and I keep a breeding pair in my 80G cube with several wrasses. No issues with pods. I have so many they crawl the glass at night even with all my wrasses and 2 dedicated pod eaters.

Refugium is not a necessity to keeping mandarins. Feeding the pods so they keep reproducing is a requirement.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

ILikeFish!

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you feeding the pods? Does the algae barn fuge kit come with some phytoplankton too?

You need to feed the pods for them to reproduce.
Well i have fish in the tank and I thought they just feed on any detritus so no I didn’t feed them anything, and yes it comes with plankton.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The phyto they send with that kit, is to feed the pods. Use it, and keep using it. Keep feeding those pods, and in a couple months when they have a good breeding population, get a mandarin.

I would suggest looking into buying a captive bred mandy as they are already used to eating prepared foods. Nothing is saying they won't revert back to pods only in a well stocked tank, but it gives them a better chance of survival if they are already eating prepared foods.

Upvote 0
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Join the movement!
Back