How do I visualize flow?

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just putting this out there

Flow comes out of a pump strong and makes its way outwards, then hits surfaces and bounces in all directions. Including downwards

Bubbles float, they want to travel upwards. they wont do a good job demonstrating current / identifying dead spots that are lower in the tank

Last edited:

Fenral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just putting this out there

Flow comes out of a pump strong and makes its way outwards, then hits surfaces and bounces in all directions. Including downwards

Bubbles float, they want ito travel upwards. they wont do a good job demonstrating current / identifying dead spots that are lower in the tank
Valid, depending on the size of the bubble. But the lack of them is as much an indicator. And air is cheap :)

MissMolly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is hard. I have used a small piece of unattached macro algae and just watched it flow around in the tank. Also tried the turkey baster trick which was unsuccessful for me.

EricR

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Air stone with fine bubbles directly under (each) power head kinda works but, as others have said, bubbles rise pretty quickly.

Different lengths of dental floss tied to stainless steel straw kind of works.

Maybe fake, silicone anemones with long, stringy tentacles would be cool to try, but don't have any.

Red Sea AB+ seems like best idea to me, but I don't dose/feed that.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back