Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that makes sense. I fished 3 gorillas out of my order of 20 pounds. Ratio lines up.

I don't know if they were reproducing in the tank or what. As hitchhikers, I also had a mantis, a couple pistol shrimp, a purple urchin, and numerous porcelain crabs. One thing you can say for sure, you get biodiversity with live rock from TBS...but you gotta tank the bad with the good!

GarrettT

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, its out. Last weekend we spent an entire day removing all the rock from the tank. Not only for this guy, but I knew we had a couple gorilla crabs still in there.

Dead, sitting on a 3" frag disk.
View attachment 3159380

Though we have pulled out at least 20 through traps, nets, tweezers, etc over the past few months, still had a bunch of gorilla grabs too. I gotta imagine we didn't get them all, but got a lot...
View attachment 3159394
Yep. I removed a lot out of mine from KP Aquatics and I only had 20lbs. Just one of those things you have to deal with when using live rock.

Corals.com

jabberwock

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. I removed a lot out of mine from KP Aquatics and I only had 20lbs. Just one of those things you have to deal with when using live rock.
In my opinion, the hassles are outweighed by the benefits.

dwest

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if they were reproducing in the tank or what. As hitchhikers, I also had a mantis, a couple pistol shrimp, a purple urchin, and numerous porcelain crabs. One thing you can say for sure, you get biodiversity with live rock from TBS...but you gotta tank the bad with the good!
Likely not reproduction.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Tired

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd second the agreeing that they likely didn't reproduce. Their larvae have a planktonic stage that won't survive in a reef tank. They'll try, I've had 'em spawn, but it doesn't result in anything.

If nothing else, they're also territorial, aggressive, and will kill each other off eventually.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back