Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not shure but I would grab it and QT it in like a cup or something till so one knows.
I've had to take down a 10g becuse I thought a majano was a mini bta that was on my zoa rock.

Nutramar Foods

EZKLR

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stone crab huh? Like they type you eat in FL? It's is 2-2.5 inches, and moves fast. Hard to believe I could ever catch it with my tongs or a net. Really starting to regret that live rock from TBS.....
use a red light at night so he won't see you and grab with the tongs

yanetterer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stone crab huh? Like they type you eat in FL? It's is 2-2.5 inches, and moves fast. Hard to believe I could ever catch it with my tongs or a net. Really starting to regret that live rock from TBS.....
You could try making a crab trap with the top of a soda bottle cut off and flipped over. There are lots of threads about catching gorilla crabs that should provide examples of the traps. Although if he really is 2.5" you may need a wider mouth like a Gatorade or Vitamin Water bottle.

OP
OP
F

Fiziksgeek

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try making a crab trap with the top of a soda bottle cut off and flipped over. There are lots of threads about catching gorilla crabs that should provide examples of the traps. Although if he really is 2.5" you may need a wider mouth like a Gatorade or Vitamin Water bottle.

This guy would definitely need something larger, but my experience has said I am mostly likely I'll just catch snails!

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
F

Fiziksgeek

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a molt….I suspect I will spend next weekend tearing the tank apart to get this monster out…
IMG_3920.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics

Tired

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh, yep, stone crab. Honestly might not be an enormous concern; they're opportunists, but they aren't super fast opportunists. I take it you haven't had anything get devoured, since you didn't know about this already?

You can grab em with forceps by just going for it. Commit to the motion and grab. Failing that, a glass leaned against the rock can work well.

Corals.com

dwest

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A piece of shrimp in a tilted glass against the rock he hangs out in will eventually work. I’ve caught many crabs this way. Set it just before lights out. And try for more after you catch him, you might be surprised.

OP
OP
F

Fiziksgeek

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, its out. Last weekend we spent an entire day removing all the rock from the tank. Not only for this guy, but I knew we had a couple gorilla crabs still in there.

Dead, sitting on a 3" frag disk.
1.jpg

Though we have pulled out at least 20 through traps, nets, tweezers, etc over the past few months, still had a bunch of gorilla grabs too. I gotta imagine we didn't get them all, but got a lot...
2.jpg

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Torch SALE
Back