How can I tell if my pump is just not very silent or if I received a defective one?

Reef5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today, I finally turned on my new Sicce Syncra SDC 9.0 controllable return pump, and it has a continuous "rrr" sound. It's not like a hum but more like a constant "rrrrgrrrrgrrr" (sorry, I don't know how to describe it—maybe closer to a big air pump).

The pump is connected to the plumbing using soft silicone tubing and has silicone feet. I can still hear it even when I close the cabinet, which is completely enclosed as it's a peninsula.

When I hold the pump in my hands, I can feel a strong vibration, and I'm not sure if this is normal. I am currently running it at 30% but it doesn't seem to make too much difference either way up or down in terms of noise.

My question is, how can I determine if I just got a defective unit, or if this pump is inherently noisy? Have you ever returned a pump only to receive a replacement that was just as noisy?

Cousteau666

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibration is a good way to tell something is up with your pump. To determine the condition of pumps at work we will perform vibration analysis. Most small DC pumps are ultra quite, something is wrong. I would find the exploded parts diagram in the manual, pull the impeller off the shaft, inspect/ reinstall. If that does not work, call sicce in the morning and speak with tech support.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Today, I finally turned on my new Sicce Syncra SDC 9.0 controllable return pump, and it has a continuous "rrr" sound. It's not like a hum but more like a constant "rrrrgrrrrgrrr" (sorry, I don't know how to describe it—maybe closer to a big air pump).

The pump is connected to the plumbing using soft silicone tubing and has silicone feet. I can still hear it even when I close the cabinet, which is completely enclosed as it's a peninsula.

When I hold the pump in my hands, I can feel a strong vibration, and I'm not sure if this is normal. I am currently running it at 30% but it doesn't seem to make too much difference either way up or down in terms of noise.

My question is, how can I determine if I just got a defective unit, or if this pump is inherently noisy? Have you ever returned a pump only to receive a replacement that was just as noisy?
You will hear clitter/clatter or an unusual pitch sound.
Often, removing impeller and cleaning the hole with a brush/toothbrush and cleaning the magnet with scotch-btite will solve eveything

OP
OP
R

Reef5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions.

I took the pump apart, but I didn't see anything strange or loose, so I put it back together and tested it again. Unfortunately, the rumble sound didn't change at all.

The vibration on the pump is very noticeable, so I am going to call Sicce. I hope their customer service is good and they can help me find a solution.

I'll keep you posted.

Thank you!

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have an SDC 9. If its over 60% its far from silent in my opinion. Sicce sent me a new empellor assembly when I complained but I dont think it solved anything. I lived with the pump at 60%.

If you can return it do it and get a reef octopus varios 8. Its actually quiet.

SpyC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried running the 6.0 version and the pump made the house sound like lfs fish room. I could feel the floor vibrating when I was close to the tank even though I had two layers of antivibration foam and used silicone tubing. Sicce sent me a new impeller, but the issue persisted. They then sent me a new pump and the problem existed with this pump. Anything over 30% and it would be a problem. I gave up and purchased a jebao. It is nearly silent. I can hear a slight hum if my ear is close to the pump.

OP
OP
R

Reef5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried running the 6.0 version and the pump made the house sound like lfs fish room. I could feel the floor vibrating when I was close to the tank even though I had two layers of antivibration foam and used silicone tubing. Sicce sent me a new impeller, but the issue persisted. They then sent me a new pump and the problem existed with this pump. Anything over 30% and it would be a problem. I gave up and purchased a jebao. It is nearly silent. I can hear a slight hum if my ear is close to the

Can't help with the sicce. I'm running 3 jebao dcp return pumps and can't hear them over the water flow through the sump. No wifi but I have no need for that on a return pump. One hasn't been cleaned in over a year.
I am regretting getting this so-called quality equipment and starting to wish I had gone with Jebao instead. I've opened a ticket with Sicce, so I'm hoping their customer service and resolution process are at least good. Given their reputation, I expect a positive outcome, but we'll see.

SpyC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am regretting getting this so-called quality equipment and starting to wish I had gone with Jebao instead. I've opened a ticket with Sicce, so I'm hoping their customer service and resolution process are at least good. Given their reputation, I expect a positive outcome, but we'll see.
They were very polite and friendly. It was a very easy process to work through trying to figure out the issue and sending replacement parts. It just turned out to not be what I thought it would be or advertised as.

I currently use the pump is a mixing station. expensive pump for what it does, but at least it didn't go to waste.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions.

I took the pump apart, but I didn't see anything strange or loose, so I put it back together and tested it again. Unfortunately, the rumble sound didn't change at all.

The vibration on the pump is very noticeable, so I am going to call Sicce. I hope their customer service is good and they can help me find a solution.

I'll keep you posted.

Thank you!
I was going to say: "rrrrgrrrrgrrr" is a clear sign of a defective unit. You even spelled it correctly!

Countdown To Christmas Fail GIF by MGM Christmas
:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: :cool:

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The odd thing about the sdc series is that they have a break in period before they really become "quiet"
Unfortunately that "quiet" is still less quiet than a majority of other commonly used DC pumps on the market despite the very reliable longevity of the pump and nice features (heat sensor).

Depending on your budget, I would opt for either a Jebao MDP (cheapest option + their newest dc pump from what I know), a Vectra (Pricey + Low voltage battery compatible), or Red Dragon 5 (Very expensive but pressure rated and definitely the most quiet I've used besides the now discontinued 3 series)

SpyC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Sicce pump for one of my small tanks and I found it to be really noisy. I never bought another one. If you want something quiet, DC pumps are the way to go.
The sdc is a dc pump

OP
OP
R

Reef5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it the sump making noise or the pump?

Lift the pump off the bottom, if the noise stops, it's the sump

Put a sheet of neoprene under the pump
Thank you for the suggestion. I lifted the pump, but I could still hear the vibration. The pump feels like a handheld massage tool. For reference, I also have the Sicce Voyager 10, and it doesn't vibrate as much. The Voyager has a strong hum sound (not surprising for an AC pump I guess), but not the "rrrrgrrrrgrrr" sound that the SDC has.

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have an SDC9.0 and can attest that when I first started it up it had a decent hum/noise to it. I will say it did "break in" and quite down. Its definitely not silent, but for me its in my basement so it doesn't bother me. Great pump, super reliable and strong, but not totally silent.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back