Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered a ton of fish for my new 220 and did not realize the hippo tang I purchased was a fry, no bigger than 1/10 of a inch and still semi translucent. Any special care I need for this guy? He’s in a cycled 10 gallon right now I’m not going to medicate him until he is big enough to handle them.

Nutramar Foods

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered a ton of fish for my new 220 and did not realize the hippo tang I purchased was a fry, no bigger than 1/10 of a inch and still semi translucent. Any special care I need for this guy? He’s in a cycled 10 gallon right now I’m not going to medicate him until he is big enough to handle them.
OK - first - Any company that sold you a hippo tang that is 1/10th of an inch - unless it was an accident - is being a bit dishonest. I would suggest contacting the company and asking what they were feeding their 1/10th inch tangs - and try that - BUT - yes it will indeed require 'special care' - and my strong guess is that survival will be difficult. I suppose phytoplankton or newly hatched baby brine shrimp could be tried. Additionally there are companies - you can google - that specialize in fish fry food - and they have varying micron sizes. If you have a rock with some algae on it - I would add it

Avast
OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see a pic! That would be the smallest most of us have ever seen.

Where was the order from?
bought it from saltwaterfish.com, it was like $20 site said it was supposed to be 1.25 inches or under and i really really did not expect it to come to me at the size of essentially a pen cap. a 1/10th inch might be a bit of a low ball since i didnt take a measure tape to it but i did hold it up next to a dime, which it was around half the size of. its hiding right now but when it comes out on its own again probably tomorrow i will update yall with some pics, its honestly pretty cool its center body is almost blue stained glass and its spines are translucent like a ghost shrimp. i did have some luck getting him to eat oddly straight after the drip into the tank, crushed some new life up and he gobbled it down but couldnt eat anything that wasnt pulverized. here is a google pic of pretty much exactly what he looks like.
1677708282395.png

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK - first - Any company that sold you a hippo tang that is 1/10th of an inch - unless it was an accident - is being a bit dishonest. I would suggest contacting the company and asking what they were feeding their 1/10th inch tangs - and try that - BUT - yes it will indeed require 'special care' - and my strong guess is that survival will be difficult. I suppose phytoplankton or newly hatched baby brine shrimp could be tried. Additionally there are companies - you can google - that specialize in fish fry food - and they have varying micron sizes. If you have a rock with some algae on it - I would add it
luckily i have both of those, i was able to get him to eat some crushed new life pellets. i ground them up with my finger tips and he was able to eat nothing but the smallest bits but he did eat. hes also in a tank i had around thats fully cycled with lr in it with tons of algae on it. to add to this i believe they knew it wouldnt be to easy to feed it because they sent me a free bag of paste food you smear on the rocks/glass taped to the bag he came in.

CLICK TO VIEW

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bought it from saltwaterfish.com, it was like $20 site said it was supposed to be 1.25 inches or under and i really really did not expect it to come to me at the size of essentially a pen cap. a 1/10th inch might be a bit of a low ball since i didnt take a measure tape to it but i did hold it up next to a dime, which it was around half the size of. its hiding right now but when it comes out on its own again probably tomorrow i will update yall with some pics, its honestly pretty cool its center body is almost blue stained glass and its spines are translucent like a ghost shrimp. i did have some luck getting him to eat oddly straight after the drip into the tank, crushed some new life up and he gobbled it down but couldnt eat anything that wasnt pulverized. here is a google pic of pretty much exactly what he looks like.View attachment 3044859
Good - thats bigger than expected. I would seriously suggest if you have a rock with some algae, etc - on it - put it in.

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
luckily i have both of those, i was able to get him to eat some crushed new life pellets. i ground them up with my finger tips and he was able to eat nothing but the smallest bits but he did eat. hes also in a tank i had around thats fully cycled with lr in it with tons of algae on it. to add to this i believe they knew it wouldnt be to easy to feed it because they sent me a free bag of paste food you smear on the rocks/glass taped to the bag he came in.
Very good.

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS - you should literally start a thread -(or add to this one) - the pictures of its growth, etc

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a great price. Seems like they would have a ton of doa.
anytime ive gotten the $20 tangs which is what this one was, they always come no bigger than the size of a dime. happened with a hippo a convict and a yellow to me now so far. honestly though ive ordered a couple thousand dollars worth of fish from them at this point and the only thing i have not been happy with was the specials fish, it feels like they get some undesirables in and just throw it up on the front wall instead of letting it die in shop which they all most likely will. ive made 8 or so orders with them all including a coupon code fish and i have one to show for it so far, which is here today and now mia in the tank.

Corals.com
OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/10th of an inch? 2.54 mm:). I assume you're being facetious.
D75A0FC0-31ED-4716-8E56-1B2DF7A84285.jpeg

Sadly….not sure what happened with it over a couple hours but it was eating etc then it spontaneously died.as you can see it was still semi translucent and what looks like a cull fish to begin with, not sure if you can tell by the picture but the fishes face is deformed and it was thinner than any fish I’ve ever seen.

Dave1993

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 3045244
Sadly….not sure what happened with it over a couple hours but it was eating etc then it spontaneously died.as you can see it was still semi translucent and what looks like a cull fish to begin with, not sure if you can tell by the picture but the fishes face is deformed and it was thinner than any fish I’ve ever seen.
wish 1 stayed that size would love 1 for my fluval evo 13.5

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anytime ive gotten the $20 tangs which is what this one was, they always come no bigger than the size of a dime. happened with a hippo a convict and a yellow to me now so far. honestly though ive ordered a couple thousand dollars worth of fish from them at this point and the only thing i have not been happy with was the specials fish, it feels like they get some undesirables in and just throw it up on the front wall instead of letting it die in shop which they all most likely will. ive made 8 or so orders with them all including a coupon code fish and i have one to show for it so far, which is here today and now mia in the tank.
You must have either a huge aquarium - or a lot of losses to spend that much. If you're spending $20 for a baby tang? BTW - this is not personal - its just to me that your comment does not make complete sense in the context of the thread

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must have either a huge aquarium - or a lot of losses to spend that much. If you're spending $20 for a baby tang? BTW - this is not personal - its just to me that your comment does not make complete sense in the context of the thread
I was just replying to him regarding his statement, and I’m at 5 tanks now, the 6th and newest is being stocked by the fish I just got in with this hippo. Fish are not cheap so it’s fairly easy to run up $1000+ with two-three high dollar tangs/angels.

OrionN

Anemones
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That fish is about 1 inch long, not 1/10 of an inch long. It is difficult but not impossible to keep.
Your sense of length is so off. I am a small guy, only 5'4" with small hand and my middle finger segment is 1 inch long.

I am sorry that he died, but if they advertise 1 inch and send you that fish, they are not wrong. Perhaps on the smaller size of 1 inch but they are not sending your an 1/10 inch fish.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
RED SEA
Back