Hey all! New here, coming from the freshwater world.

00W

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Welcome to R2R!
20240826_075837.jpg
My big boy also says welcome!

kyreefville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to club! I would say many of us started in fresh.
Softies are great though as some have mentioned they can grow like wildfire which is kind of what makes them great. That and their flowing nature. So with that in mind think about where they will grow and what will win. Cutting out growing softies is a great way to export nutrients as well as share with your friends, start a second tank (that's usually what happens). It's better than the alternative no growth. To be honest based upon your age and tank size this is not a forever tank so you will likely take it down and move it that's just a new chance to refresh and think about your next journey. Have fun. Palys and zoa can release a toxin so read up on that and keep it in mind. When looking at corals in store look at it with white light unless you plan on running a windex blue.

Kenya leathers and toadstools get big I MEAN BIG.
Xenia yah it will grow and grow. But so cool when they pulse
Green star polyps will grow like crazy if you can get it growing up back of tank it's awesome. Cutting off large sheets to share is cool.
And most palys grow well to and larger flowing polyps.

1726843036599.png

OP
OP
C12

C12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on getting into saltwater! Although there will definitely be frustrations now and then it is a great time. As a marine biologist, I know what you mean about being in love with the ocean and corals as long as you can remember. Don't rush into difficult corals or you will have some troubles, but there are great softies and some lps are fairly easy. About the xenia, be very careful. It will take over anything and even tiny pieces will grow onto whatever they land on. Have fun!!

1a-Welcome Aboard.gif
Thank you!

OP
OP
C12

C12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AaaR2R2.gif

Greetings and Welcome it's good having you here.

Gotta put my 2 cents in tho. Consider a fishless cycle. Fish are not necessary for a cycle to complete. Yes, they will most likely live, but they'll be uncomfortable during the process. Not an ideal situation!
I will keep that in mind, Thank you!

OP
OP
C12

C12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to club! I would say many of us started in fresh.
Softies are great though as some have mentioned they can grow like wildfire which is kind of what makes them great. That and their flowing nature. So with that in mind think about where they will grow and what will win. Cutting out growing softies is a great way to export nutrients as well as share with your friends, start a second tank (that's usually what happens). It's better than the alternative no growth. To be honest based upon your age and tank size this is not a forever tank so you will likely take it down and move it that's just a new chance to refresh and think about your next journey. Have fun. Palys and zoa can release a toxin so read up on that and keep it in mind. When looking at corals in store look at it with white light unless you plan on running a windex blue.

Kenya leathers and toadstools get big I MEAN BIG.
Xenia yah it will grow and grow. But so cool when they pulse
Green star polyps will grow like crazy if you can get it growing up back of tank it's awesome. Cutting off large sheets to share is cool.
And most palys grow well to and larger flowing polyps.

1726843036599.png
Thank you for the advice! Ive seen a lot of videos talking about the fast growth on a lot of the softies, but I wasn’t too worried because I will probably be heading off to college in the near future.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back