Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
idk how pricing would work, but those illumagic blaze fixtures look promising.. but you already have the hybrid

i wonder if you could use those noopsyche lights with the hybrid? people seem to be fans of them

Hermie

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Hemmdog, do you QT your SPS?
I just got an anacropora frag that I am dipping now and I am considering putting it in my main tank instead of QT because I figure it will have a better chance to survive...

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Hemmdog, do you QT your SPS?
I just got an anacropora frag that I am dipping now and I am considering putting it in my main tank instead of QT because I figure it will have a better chance to survive...
Yea I do. I was using my biocube as coral qt. My 40b will act as a observation tank when I get more sps. If I get them from my main LFS that I know doesn’t have pests, I just put them in the 90 directly.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
idk how pricing would work, but those illumagic blaze fixtures look promising.. but you already have the hybrid

i wonder if you could use those noopsyche lights with the hybrid? people seem to be fans of them
The blaze is super expensive isn’t it? I watched something about it the other day, seemed cool. I’m not sure about the nooosyches, who has them with a deep tank with acros that are deep? I need some serious power. That’s why I was thinking something like reefbreeders; @MSB123 is pulling like 800 par from one of those. For $700 that seems like a serious upgrade, 200-280par to 800 par.
I’m really not sure. I just want great light in there so I can grow acros. They encrust but don’t grow branches, that seems like a lighting issue due to shadowing. Just a hypothesis.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blaze is super expensive isn’t it? I watched something about it the other day, seemed cool. I’m not sure about the nooosyches, who has them with a deep tank with acros that are deep? I need some serious power. That’s why I was thinking something like reefbreeders; @MSB123 is pulling like 800 par from one of those. For $700 that seems like a serious upgrade, 200-280par to 800 par.
I’m really not sure. I just want great light in there so I can grow acros. They encrust but don’t grow branches, that seems like a lighting issue due to shadowing. Just a hypothesis.

Before going crazy with lighting, have you tried simpler fixes like changing flow rate/patterns or moving the acros to different locations/heights in the tank?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are worth it!
Very easy to control, and awesome power!

Sod Buster

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hit up @dantimdad for the noopsyche knowledge. I'm 26 inches from the sand to the luminaire, running 2/3rds power. Punching par 3 foot might be pushing it. I wanted a 16" V2 for my tank, but out of production. Battlecorals runs V2's over his led tanks. I would trust Adam for sure, meaning they are a good light.

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hit up @dantimdad for the noopsyche knowledge. I'm 26 inches from the sand to the luminaire, running 2/3rds power. Punching par 3 foot might be pushing it. I wanted a 16" V2 for my tank, but out of production. Battlecorals runs V2's over his led tanks. I would trust Adam for sure, meaning they are a good light.
I ran noopsyches for a while. I liked them, but I prefer the reefbreeders.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before going crazy with lighting, have you tried simpler fixes like changing flow rate/patterns or moving the acros to different locations/heights in the tank?
I have messed with flow. They were dying before, they are surviving and encrusting now, just slowly and pretty bad color. The flows been consistent for 3 months or so now. I haven’t moved anything around, but I’m considering doing a big rescape sometime and that would be a good opportunity to do that. My scape issue is I have no spots high up.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have messed with flow. They were dying before, they are surviving and encrusting now, just slowly and pretty bad color. The flows been consistent for 3 months or so now. I haven’t moved anything around, but I’m considering doing a big rescape sometime and that would be a good opportunity to do that. My scape issue is I have no spots high up.

Perhaps you'd be well served by getting a magnetic rack, mounting it higher in your tank and placing a couple on it. This will help confirm if it is a lighting issue.

The tests that @Manose ran on the Noopsyches were done on a 24 x 24 x 24 cube. I cannot recall the exact height off the the water the lights were mounted but seem to think it was 12". The Noopsyches performed well. However, adding another 6" of water depth will have a big affect on par. If you're looking for straight par values, I believe the Viparspectra will be the go-to light. Although the Viparspectras only have two channel control many reefers love them and the price. I'm sure we'll hear from @dantimdad whenever Sherry lets him use the computer! ;Hilarious

mattzang

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

$1200 for the 4 foot

https://uniquecorals.com/collections/illumagic/products/illumagic-blaze-x-120?variant=15668898562107

the v2 seems cool too, i think you can even use your hybrid with it?

https://www.reefbreeders.com/product-category/t5/

if that doesn't get you enough par, yikes! lol

also weren't you basically 200~ par for your acros? i think WWC runs around that par for their mixed tank, which they did say wasn't ideal, but should still be decent. shrug

Top Shelf Aquatics

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are in up to a 24" deep tank I would say the noopsyches can do it. But, anything over that, no. You are gonna need more punch. Unless you just put edge to edge K7s then it might work.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$1200 for the 4 foot

https://uniquecorals.com/collections/illumagic/products/illumagic-blaze-x-120?variant=15668898562107

the v2 seems cool too, i think you can even use your hybrid with it?

https://www.reefbreeders.com/product-category/t5/

if that doesn't get you enough par, yikes! lol

also weren't you basically 200~ par for your acros? i think WWC runs around that par for their mixed tank, which they did say wasn't ideal, but should still be decent. shrug
Yea that’s pricy. Yep I can use my hybrid with reefbreeders. Viparspectras seem like they could be easily mounted as well. Yea as a mixed tank my current lights are doing great, lps and everything is thriving. I’m just getting more into acros the longer I am in the hobby and want to make an environment that they will thrive in.

Avast
OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are in up to a 24" deep tank I would say the noopsyches can do it. But, anything over that, no. You are gonna need more punch. Unless you just put edge to edge K7s then it might work.
True true.
What’s your opinion of 4 kessils? 2 360’s 2 360x’s & 4t5’s?

mattzang

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that’s pricy. Yep I can use my hybrid with reefbreeders. Viparspectras seem like they could be easily mounted as well. Yea as a mixed tank my current lights are doing great, lps and everything is thriving. I’m just getting more into acros the longer I am in the hobby and want to make an environment that they will thrive in.

they are disturbingly alluring...

i won't lie, the more i like acros, the more i see people with tanks that are like, "yeah uhh i haven't done a water change in a year and it just kinda does its own thing" i get jelly. it's the same with me for beer. i got into craft beers years ago so when i drink, it's high quality stuff. so when i'm at the checkout with my 6 pack for $25, but some guy is checking out with his bud light 30 pack for $20 or whatever it is, i kinda wish i didn't go down the craft beer rabbit hole :eek::(:D

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are disturbingly alluring...

i won't lie, the more i like acros, the more i see people with tanks that are like, "yeah uhh i haven't done a water change in a year and it just kinda does its own thing" i get jelly. it's the same with me for beer. i got into craft beers years ago so when i drink, it's high quality stuff. so when i'm at the checkout with my 6 pack for $25, but some guy is checking out with his bud light 30 pack for $20 or whatever it is, i kinda wish i didn't go down the craft beer rabbit hole :eek::(:D
I hear ya on that. I was big into craft IPA’s back in my drinkin’ days.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps you'd be well served by getting a magnetic rack, mounting it higher in your tank and placing a couple on it. This will help confirm if it is a lighting issue.

The tests that @Manose ran on the Noopsyches were done on a 24 x 24 x 24 cube. I cannot recall the exact height off the the water the lights were mounted but seem to think it was 12". The Noopsyches performed well. However, adding another 6" of water depth will have a big affect on par. If you're looking for straight par values, I believe the Viparspectra will be the go-to light. Although the Viparspectras only have two channel control many reefers love them and the price. I'm sure we'll hear from @dantimdad whenever Sherry lets him use the computer! ;Hilarious
Funny you mention that. I was looking into getting this frag rack just earlier today.
19F8F752-4F40-4610-A5DF-64353010B9F2.jpeg

Got held up at checkout, couldn’t decide if I want orange accents or atomic green. Big decisions.. lol

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True true.
What’s your opinion of 4 kessils? 2 360’s 2 360x’s & 4t5’s?

Honestly, I think the regular 360s unless they are narrows won't penetrate as far as the noopsyche. The 360x I have no experience with. I would love to get my mitts on one to try it out though.

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Aquarium Specialty
Back