Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea. Once your acro frags are colonies though the 40’s will be perfect. Your tank is setup for long term success.
Those are the two I’ve been looking at as well but my 90 is a little small for them. Do you know of any that do well in under 100 gal tanks? I don’t know much about them to be honest other than they need frequent feedings of good food.
My nephew has a small school of them I think. He was trying to talk me into one instead of the lyre tail. I just txt him to see what he thinks I’ll let you know. Yes I work from home when not traveling so I feed three full meals a day and two other times I am tossing in pellets I really like active fish. These new ones come right up to the glass and follow my hand around . The Tangs were always skiddish and now they are getting jealous and come up more to the edge to see me.

Last edited:
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I LOVE mine, great personality, if I walk by he comes out, if I sit next to tank and stare in there he comes out to stare back very cool fish. Likes to hide under rocks once in awhile otherwise he's swimming around the entire tank, coolest part he sits on his fins like a goby so he'll swim around and perch on rockwork or next to frags if there's room on a rack lol. They have a really cool pattern and their eyes are awesome looking, they have this metallic green look to them like a dragonfly. Must have to do with being deepwater basslet? Maybe how they use the available light or lack of.?
I've had no issues with him.
It's the first one I've seen for sale since April when I bought mine.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I LOVE mine, great personality, if I walk by he comes out, if I sit next to tank and stare in there he comes out to stare back very cool fish. Likes to hide under rocks once in awhile otherwise he's swimming around the entire tank, coolest part he sits on his fins like a goby so he'll swim around and perch on rockwork or next to frags if there's room on a rack lol. They have a really cool pattern and their eyes are awesome looking, they have this metallic green look to them like a dragonfly. Must have to do with being deepwater basslet? Maybe how they use the available light or lack of.?
I've had no issues with him.
It's the first one I've seen for sale since April when I bought mine.
Well that sounds awesome, lol.

Why-Me

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yea best of all he loves to antagonize my cat, good times watching him get upset and come meowing at me cuz the fishy is pickin on him. LOL

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutramar Foods

Why-Me

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eat your heart out @Hemmdog

40b1.jpg 40b2.jpg 40b3.jpg 40b4.jpg

Thanks for the idea!!

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m doing a little light experiment over here. I’ve had my lights on a spectrum that looked good to my eyes and a sunrise sunset with different spectrums and different durations. Well the world doesn’t work that way, so I’m going to go more natural and balanced. I made a few minor adjustments to my spectrum so it stays the exact same all day except for peak which has only 15% more whites. I also have the same duration for ramp up and ramp down now.
I just finished my moonlight experiment, the coral was not nearly as happy as it was when it was getting a good nights rest in complete darkness. Growth on acros actually slowed way down, much slower than before, corals look more washed out too, it’s very interesting. Feeder tentacles were also noticeably shorter while running moonlights. I attribute that to them not being able to catch as much food, thus looking less happy. My moon cycle also mimicked the actual phase of the moon; rather than on 100% every night rookie moonlight settings. My snails spawned so there’s that..
I’m looking for subtle differences with these new lighting changes. I’m very observant of my tank and have extremely high standards of what constitutes a “happy coral”. It’s legitimately an experiment to rule out or side with hobbyist myths about lighting period and spectrum. I’ll report back on this in 2+ months. We can discuss though obviously if anyone is interested lol.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top Shelf Aquatics

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutramar Foods

najer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Pacific Sun hybrid, the leds run a 12 hour program, the Bali program, my T5s come on one pair at a time staggered over 2 hours and then go off a pair at a time.
I love the led ramps at either end of the day and due to the led program the light changes all day.
Hope you find what pleases the corals and you. :)

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m doing a little light experiment over here. I’ve had my lights on a spectrum that looked good to my eyes and a sunrise sunset with different spectrums and different durations. Well the world doesn’t work that way, so I’m going to go more natural and balanced. I made a few minor adjustments to my spectrum so it stays the exact same all day except for peak which has only 15% more whites. I also have the same duration for ramp up and ramp down now.
I just finished my moonlight experiment, the coral was not nearly as happy as it was when it was getting a good nights rest in complete darkness. Growth on acros actually slowed way down, much slower than before, corals look more washed out too, it’s very interesting. Feeder tentacles were also noticeably shorter while running moonlights. I attribute that to them not being able to catch as much food, thus looking less happy. My moon cycle also mimicked the actual phase of the moon; rather than on 100% every night rookie moonlight settings. My snails spawned so there’s that..
I’m looking for subtle differences with these new lighting changes. I’m very observant of my tank and have extremely high standards of what constitutes a “happy coral”. It’s legitimately an experiment to rule out or side with hobbyist myths about lighting period and spectrum. I’ll report back on this in 2+ months. We can discuss though obviously if anyone is interested lol.
Thanks for this report, I was about to do my experiment with moon lights...

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back