+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow first emergency post

All my euphyllia have been slowly receding flesh after 8mos of constemt growth and splitting. About 2 weeks decline toll now. Now this morning 1 had a goop of BJD, no pictures but definitely BJD i assume from the exposed skeleton edge.

Now its out the tank. What can i do for the rest of my torches that where basicly touching eathother. Please help i don't
want to loose them all.. lugals?

i will attached parameters, but sadly leaveing for work soon...

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
trixter227

trixter227

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best info i have found is this, from what i can read no negative effect of othher coral? I mostly have euphyllia in the tank. Worth a shot or would i need to identify the bacteria associated with my infection?

LordofCinder

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bjd affects the unhappy/unhealthy corals. If the other corals in the tank are happy/healthy, they should not catch it. My only 2 cases of bjd happened because they were getting stung by frogspawn, but other corals right beside bjd did not get it.

Something must have happened in your tank to those affected corals, the bjd will only spread to others if that "something" is still there. Try to figure out what happened so it can be corrected.

CLICK TO VIEW

Cell

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the BJD protocols used by two very successful keepers of torches.

Proven treatment method for Euphyllia and similar.
Brown Jelly and tissue recession

Iodine alone will not stop it. It's a tiny bandaid.

1. 2 cups of tank water 1 capful of witch hazel (hydrogen peroxide is fine too). Swirl it around a bit to release the jelly. Dip for 15mins

2. 2 cups of tank water 1/2 package of furan 2. Same process.

3. 2 cups of tank water and iodine until it looks like lightly colored iced tea. Same process.

4. Rinse in tank water. Reintroduce to tank in low light.

Separate dishes for each, don't combine.

For brown jelly or extreme tissue recession, dipping back to back days may be required.

So sorry to see...

That is brown jelly, a sign that bacteria has attacked the torch.

Here is a bath you can use to try and save it.

In a separate container add these ingredients, each case is different so I would suggest this in this case...

4g tank water
Sponge filter
Powerhead

1000mg cipro
10 scoops chemiclean

Mix these 2 first to dissolve the medication.

Then add

Restore 20ml
Amino acids 10ml
Witch hazel 10ml
Lugols Iodine 5 full droppers

Turn power head off after all is mixed and then add the torch.

Before you add the torch take a small tube and suck that nasty stuff off the head of your torch before lifting it out of the water to limit the bacteria getting more into the tank.

Leave the torch for 4 to 6 hours with the sponge winter going to oxygenate the container.

OP
OP
trixter227

trixter227

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bjd affects the unhappy/unhealthy corals. If the other corals in the tank are happy/healthy, they should not catch it. My only 2 cases of bjd happened because they were getting stung by frogspawn, but other corals right beside bjd did not get it.

Something must have happened in your tank to those affected corals, the bjd will only spread to others if that "something" is still there. Try to figure out what happened so it can be corrected.
I believe it was caused by some painters tape in my top off water... Dont ask how it got there. So i removed and cleaned the tank and did a Water change. That was friday. I assumed it stoped the damage however a few have skeleton edges exposed now. Everyday they are all fully extended and plump.

Alk is my 2ed culprit. I corrected this before i discoverd the painters tape howvwer. Alk jumped from 7.9ish to 9.7 in a day or 2.

OP
OP
trixter227

trixter227

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the BJD protocols used by two very successful keepers of torches.
Thank for this, cirpo on the way. The affected torch is sadly tossed. It was a sizeable blob of brown sludge, cut all flow coverd with a bag before moveing it out the tank. Again sadly 3 other torches slap against regularly... i will update!

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Aquariums Wholesale Live coral auctions every week
Back