OP
S

Shahin bahrami

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just mentioning this because I've had it happen in every tank I've had sps in. Sometimes a piece will RTN or STN with no explanation that I can find. If this is your first acro then by all means try to figure it out and list your parameters as folks have requested.
I've woke up in the morning to a white stick from RTN on a coral that looked good the night before. Every other coral in the tank is fine. This has probably been the most frustrating part of keeping acros for me. I'm a newb with only 18 months experience tho.

EDIT : the rock looks like this may be a younger tank? I definatly had more losses the first year. The older my tanks become the easier it gets to keep things alive that I couldn't keep early on. I attribute it to the tank maturity thing many new reefers don't like to hear.
Your comment was very beautiful and lovely. thanks alot my friend.

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EDIT : the rock looks like this may be a younger tank? I definatly had more losses the first year. The older my tanks become the easier it gets to keep things alive that I couldn't keep early on. I attribute it to the tank maturity thing many new reefers don't like to hear.

I agree with this. ^^^

OP, you can try and save a piece by snipping a heathly tissue frag. Mount, dip and place it in a different section of the tank. All healthy tissue.

Make sure you got some good flow. SPS have to have decent flow for waste management.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
try to frag what u can, keep the system stable. I’m all my years I nvr posted my K, dkh yes. let the system age some. I I’ve had acropora go for no reason, maintainkng the quote reef tolerance levels. Happens. Pls post system numbers. Thank you.

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up aquarium: 7m 26d
this Acro: 1m 12d
Test Kits: Salifert
Light: XR30 G6 Pro
Skimer: Regal 150S
Wave: MLW30 2#
Pump: MDP10000
Balling method
Volume: 425 L

Today Test:
SG:1.025
T: 25.9°C
pH: 8.25
KH: 9
No3: 5
Po4: 0.03
Ca: 440
Mg: 1400
I2: 0.02
K: 390
If those numbers are stable as in daily and dont swing then they are good as you say. It is hard to tell and with such a small frag I would doubt it but is that part of the coral shaded from light or flow by itself or rock? This usually happens in larger colonies not frags. As other have said maturity of the tank and the reefer have a lot to do with survival of the corals. If you are dosing to keep stable parameters how do you dose? and what do you dose? Tank looks young still so may not be dosing at all. What other corals are in the tank? How do they look? These questions may seem unimportant to you but we dont know your tank, it may help.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate looks low. What did you use to test? It might actually be 0 depending on the test accuracy.

What PAR is this coral sitting in?

-Matt

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up aquarium: 7m 26d
this Acro: 1m 12d
Test Kits: Salifert
Light: XR30 G6 Pro
Skimer: Regal 150S
Wave: MLW30 2#
Pump: MDP10000
Balling method
Volume: 425 L

Today Test:
SG:1.025
T: 25.9°C
pH: 8.25
KH: 9
No3: 5
Po4: 0.03
Ca: 440
Mg: 1400
I2: 0.02
K: 390
So, 70 or 80 watts of light in a 400 litre tank?

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20240706-150631_Mobius.jpg

moosevandyke

Never a dull moment in keeping a reef tank.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It almost appears as it was nippled on or something maybe a pest? It was said above numbers are decent, flow would be a question along with par and do we know what kind of acro I can’t tell from photo? It could be as simple as new tank and not ready for sps? How are other corals?

OP
OP
S

Shahin bahrami

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If those numbers are stable as in daily and dont swing then they are good as you say. It is hard to tell and with such a small frag I would doubt it but is that part of the coral shaded from light or flow by itself or rock? This usually happens in larger colonies not frags. As other have said maturity of the tank and the reefer have a lot to do with survival of the corals. If you are dosing to keep stable parameters how do you dose? and what do you dose? Tank looks young still so may not be dosing at all. What other corals are in the tank? How do they look? These questions may seem unimportant to you but we dont know your tank, it may help.
Thank you for your reply.

I do not add anything manually. Balling method is dosed by dosing pump.

There is a little shade in that part.

I send photos of other acros:

20240815_153106.jpg 20240814_095008.jpg 20240812_124612.jpg 20240812_133231.jpg
20240812_124326.jpg

OP
OP
S

Shahin bahrami

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate looks low. What did you use to test? It might actually be 0 depending on the test accuracy.

What PAR is this coral sitting in?

-Matt
Salifert test kit.

You are absolutely right. I will measure the amount of phosphate more precisely with Hana's tester.

I did not measure the par. But this acro is in the upper parts of the rock.

OP
OP
S

Shahin bahrami

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It almost appears as it was nippled on or something maybe a pest? It was said above numbers are decent, flow would be a question along with par and do we know what kind of acro I can’t tell from photo? It could be as simple as new tank and not ready for sps? How are other corals?
It is absolutely true. The tank is young and is almost 8 months old. I posted pictures of other acros above.

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it doing today? Has the white patch progressed further? I dont think this is parameter caused, especially now we know more. You have other healthy sps and we know you are dosing to keep parameters steady. Some corals just dont do as well being transplanted.

I have quite a few zoas (mixed reef sps, euphyla, zoas) that are mostly happy, but I have 2 that are continually stretching they are in a fairly high par 175ish with good flow the rest of the zoas in this area are happy and look as they should. I have been wracking my brain trying to figure out why these two are acting this way. I had forgotten where they came from but finally talking to the vendor I figured out why, they keep these two colonies at 400+ par along with a few others, no wonder they are acting weird in my tank. I dont have anywhere in my tank with 400+ par I could but do I need it? Sps doing great in about 250 and hammers and torches in same happy also. Basically I am saying some corals will do fine with being moved from one set of parameters to another while others will struggle, and they may overcome or not. Of course, this is barring some other things like a parasite or drastic parameter fluctuations.

ChrisfromBrick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I didn't have any success with SPS corals until my tank was 10+ months old and the instability calmed down. Thinking back it sure didn't stop me from making monthly attempts.
This is really important for people to know. The only SPS I had on a new tank was a piece of Monti cap.

bobnicaragua

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply.

I do not add anything manually. Balling method is dosed by dosing pump.

There is a little shade in that part.

I send photos of other acros:

20240815_153106.jpg 20240814_095008.jpg 20240812_124612.jpg 20240812_133231.jpg
20240812_124326.jpg
Your other acros look happy enough. Things should get easier as the tank matures.

Cut off a healthy piece of the coral, and be sure not to get any of the bleached part. Then reglue it and hold your breath!

OP
OP
S

Shahin bahrami

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it doing today? Has the white patch progressed further? I dont think this is parameter caused, especially now we know more. You have other healthy sps and we know you are dosing to keep parameters steady. Some corals just dont do as well being transplanted.

I have quite a few zoas (mixed reef sps, euphyla, zoas) that are mostly happy, but I have 2 that are continually stretching they are in a fairly high par 175ish with good flow the rest of the zoas in this area are happy and look as they should. I have been wracking my brain trying to figure out why these two are acting this way. I had forgotten where they came from but finally talking to the vendor I figured out why, they keep these two colonies at 400+ par along with a few others, no wonder they are acting weird in my tank. I dont have anywhere in my tank with 400+ par I could but do I need it? Sps doing great in about 250 and hammers and torches in same happy also. Basically I am saying some corals will do fine with being moved from one set of parameters to another while others will struggle, and they may overcome or not. Of course, this is barring some other things like a parasite or drastic parameter fluctuations.
Thank you for your attention and care. As you said, the white spot has remained constant and has not progressed. Other corals are in very good condition and are even growing and multiplying.

OP
OP
S

Shahin bahrami

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your help. The whitening process was stopped. Now a dark layer covers the white surface and the coral is doing well. Please see the picture. Do you have any comments?
1000005511.jpg

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back