Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my fish early on after QT so it had been with me 4-8 weeks probably but you can see it is on the skinny side by looking at the head...

1673188741069.png

and later, now a fatty, as it stares at the feeder begging for more lol

1673188804962.png

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too me, the fish looks thinner and the mucus on the sides seems worse. Also, the nip in its dorsal fin hasn't grown back in. Of course, you are seeing the fish in person, but also, seeing it every day may not give you a chance to notice gradual decline over time.

The skin mucus may or may not be an immediate issue. It is caused by some irritation, and sometimes, for o apparent reason at all. Fish normally have mucus on their skin, but under certain circumstances, it becomes thick enough to really show up. The irritation can be disease (flukes, protozoans) or even bacteria. It can also be due to water quality problems and "unidentified stress".

Ultimately, I've seen so many copperbands lose ground like this - eating, but not enough to put on body mass, IMO the prognosis is poor. If you could move the fish to an established tank with lots of inverts, but no other fish, and feed it REALLY well, you might be able to bring it around, but unless you are underfeeding it, you likely will not be able to reverse the issue in the tank that it is currently in.

I think most of the issues with CBB are due to their inherent delicate nature, as well as probable collection with cyanide. The best CBB that I get come direct from Australia.

While "feeding the best diet possible" is an important goal, remember that improving the diet alone is not really a cure for an acute issue, and most dietary deficiencies (except not enough calories) take months to show up.

Jay
@Jay Hemdal Thank you for the feedback.

The fish is in my observation tank which was established identically to my display tank over 2 years ago.

20230108_100618-01.jpeg

This is a 30gal tank with a DSB and tons of macro algae with lots of pods.

The fish is eating well but not gaining weight. It's eating clams on the half shell continously and a mix of frozen that includes a little of everything 6 plus times a day.

I can transition from observe and feed to some treatment. Options:
1. Cipro dip to treat infection
2. Prazi Pro the tank for parasites
3. Kanaplex in food for infection
4. Bendazone in food for parasites
5. Methylene Blue dip for fungus

Is there a particular treatment or treatments and order you would recommend?

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my fish early on after QT so it had been with me 4-8 weeks probably but you can see it is on the skinny side by looking at the head...

View attachment 2965246

and later, now a fatty, as it stares at the feeder begging for more lol

View attachment 2965247

I have a pouch already where it eats clams on the half shell.

I'll up my game with some frozen in there.

Thanks!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal Thank you for the feedback.

The fish is in my observation tank which was established identically to my display tank over 2 years ago.

View attachment 2965327

This is a 30gal tank with a DSB and tons of macro algae with lots of pods.

The fish is eating well but not gaining weight. It's eating clams on the half shell continously and a mix of frozen that includes a little of everything 6 plus times a day.

I can transition from observe and feed to some treatment. Options:
1. Cipro dip to treat infection
2. Prazi Pro the tank for parasites
3. Kanaplex in food for infection
4. Bendazone in food for parasites
5. Methylene Blue dip for fungus

Is there a particular treatment or treatments and order you would recommend?

Internal parasites are often cited as a cause for "skinny fish". Actually though, the parasites don't want to kill the host fish, but if the overall caloric intake is too low, the parasite gets more than their fair share and the fish gets skinny.

If the issue is from malabsorption due to being collected with cyanide, there isn't anything you can do about that.

If you had access to API General Cure (prazi and metro) I'd try that in the water. My second choice would be Prazipro, but that is only effective against tapeworms (and external flukes of course).

Jay

Jay

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Internal parasites are often cited as a cause for "skinny fish". Actually though, the parasites don't want to kill the host fish, but if the overall caloric intake is too low, the parasite gets more than their fair share and the fish gets skinny.

If the issue is from malabsorption due to being collected with cyanide, there isn't anything you can do about that.

If you had access to API General Cure (prazi and metro) I'd try that in the water. My second choice would be Prazipro, but that is only effective against tapeworms (and external flukes of course).

Jay

Jay

Thanks @Jay Hemdal. I'll pickup General Cure today...I never seem to have the recommended treatments on hand despite all those medications I keep.

AquaCave Logo Banner
BRS

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should the General Cure not improve symptoms, what should I have in hand for next steps?

Well, as I said, if it is a malabsorption issue from cyanide, there isn't any treatment, just time to possibly heal with fingers crossed. Ditto for other rare issues that can cause un-thriftiness, like viral diseases and coccidia. You should try
@Tamberav pouch feeding advice.

Jay

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, as I said, if it is a malabsorption issue from cyanide, there isn't any treatment, just time to possibly heal with fingers crossed. Ditto for other rare issues that can cause un-thriftiness, like viral diseases and coccidia. You should try

Jay

Add reef frenzy to the pouch now...

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
@Jay Hemdal

If the General Cure is going to work, how long before one would expect to see improvement?

AquaCave Logo Banner

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal

If the General Cure is going to work, how long before one would expect to see improvement?
I can’t exactly say - if there are parasites and the GC clears them, the fish still has to regain the lost weight…and that will be the issue, could take months.
Jay

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t exactly say - if there are parasites and the GC clears them, the fish still has to regain the lost weight…and that will be the issue, could take months.
Jay

Happy to keep the fish in the OT for the next several months...my stocking list is complete.

Nutramar Foods

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we still basically treating as infection?

Right, I'm not convinced that is the underlying issue, but it is the only thing that has an available treatment.

Jay

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Top Shelf Aquatics
Back