+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all

Just made the plunge into this with the acquisition of a secondhand reef tank that had been emptied by a guy who went off to college; Dad said, “he’s in college, he doesn’t need this stuff anymore.” His loss, my gain! :D
I’ve done quite a bit of reading and research into saltwater tanks, probably not close to enough, but I think I stumbled onto quite a stellar deal in my opinion.
He was selling a 90g plumbed tank with overflow, nice solid wooden cabinet stand, 100-125lbs of (what was once) live rock (which he informed me needed to be cured as it had been infested with organic matter and sat in a bucket for months), a fairly basic acrylic sump which from my guesstimating measures to be roughly 60g (dimensions 30x12x16”) and some fairly used equipment like a couple heaters, a return pump, a decent Fluval LED light (not sure of the model, but it’s older), some piping and other random accessories. All for, wait for it... 200$! I thought I couldn’t pass that deal up, but correct me if I’m wrong I guess.
Only caveat being, as mentioned the tank had been out of commission for some time; I have some work cut out for me, nothing too complicated though.
The center brace of the top frame is cracked, so I’ll be ordering a new one and replacing it. The tank, sump and rock is all covered in all sorts of nastiness, which I’ll be soaking and cleaning with vinegar, although I have questions about curing the rock which I’ll post separately. I’ll probably add some baffles to the sump, possibly isolating part of it completely as a top off reservoir, I’d like to contain all the equipment (skimmer, heater(s), reactor(s), fuge, and anything else I’m not thinking of in it.
I’m sure more work will present itself along the way, but for now I’m focused on getting things cleaned and cured, and gathering the rest of the equipment needed. As you can imagine, this will be a long journey as I have a lot of rather expensive equipment on my list before I even get to cycling.
Looking forward to sharing the journey with you guys, and I’m sure lots and lots of questions! I’ll be posting a build thread eventually starting from square one.

Thanks for reading!
Welcome! Fellow cheesehead here, sounds like you have a fun and challenging project on your hands. Start up a build thread and join the fun!

CLICK TO VIEW

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

FnR
Back