Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot get rid of this algae. I have posted a list of my parameters, all parameters tested using a salifert or Hanna tester. I run T5 about 10 hours a day with a ramp up and ramp down so I’m only at 100% from 9:00am to 4:00pm lights on at 8 off at 6 . I have to scrape the glass daily, even doing that it starts to show again within an hour probably less. Everything else is algae free but this algae on the glass. Tank is 4 months old. With 5 fish I have sock filters, skimmer, filter floss, bio balls, and carbon running in the sump, currently in the process of growing a refugium utilizing Chaeto, it’s currently the size of a baseball. I feel like I’m cycled as I’ve beat the diatom stage, green hair algae, etc.

Parameters:
PH:8.2
Phos: 0ppm ( I know working on getting it up, but everything is alive and thriving)
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 2ppm
Salinity: 1.26 ( Was 1.28, dropped it down, didn’t realize ato was empty)
Alkalinity: 8.0
Calcium: 500
Magnesium: 1230
Temp: 78 F
I do weekly or biweekly water changes for a total of 60-80 gallons a month.

Tank is the Red Sea Max S 650: Roughly 165 total gallons with aquascape, sump included.

If anyone can help me rid my tank of this I would greatly appreciate it.

11949AE7-7676-444C-AFD0-F85D4414ECC2.jpeg

AquaCave Logo Banner

Sabellafella

5000 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I cannot get rid of this algae. I have posted a list of my parameters, all parameters tested using a salifert or Hanna tester. I run T5 about 10 hours a day with a ramp up and ramp down so I’m only at 100% from 9:00am to 4:00pm lights on at 8 off at 6 . I have to scrape the glass daily, even doing that it starts to show again within an hour probably less. Everything else is algae free but this algae on the glass. Tank is 4 months old. With 5 fish I have sock filters, skimmer, filter floss, bio balls, and carbon running in the sump, currently in the process of growing a refugium utilizing Chaeto, it’s currently the size of a baseball. I feel like I’m cycled as I’ve beat the diatom stage, green hair algae, etc.

Parameters:
PH:8.2
Phos: 0ppm ( I know working on getting it up, but everything is alive and thriving)
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 2ppm
Salinity: 1.26 ( Was 1.28, dropped it down, didn’t realize ato was empty)
Alkalinity: 8.0
Calcium: 500
Magnesium: 1230
Temp: 78 F
I do weekly or biweekly water changes for a total of 60-80 gallons a month.

Tank is the Red Sea Max S 650: Roughly 165 total gallons with aquascape, sump included.

If anyone can help me rid my tank of this I would greatly appreciate it.

View attachment 3119980
Daily! If the glass gets covered like that daily that's a tuff one, i think you may need to just leave it a bit before cleaning and give it some time for the algae to slow down. Uv would take that down immensely. Could cut your daylight channel also for a bit till things equal out.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is only 4 months old and likely just ugly stages .
The only thing with your parameters that jump out a little is the lower magnesium but higher calcium . What salt are you using ?

AS
OP
OP
T

tsantos121

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only issue is the glass? Thats the easiest to resolve, just scrape it.

Wait till the algae starts growing from your rocks and sand....
I’ve already had this. The algae on the sand and rock is gone. Only thing left is the green on the glass.

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
T

tsantos121

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's still young but I would suggest a UV sterilizer. That should help.
I figured a UV sterilizer might be the common answer I get looking for something a little less pricey. Hi Ty in general is obviously pricey but may just have to spend the money to get the results I’m looking for thank you.

OP
OP
T

tsantos121

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 month old tank IME hasn't even scratched the surface of the ugly phase. Mine didn't get really bad until around month 7 or 8.
I agree, I’ve defeated the ugly rock and sand this is all that’s left. I also used bottled bacteria to start the tank if that helps and the pods are thriving the glass is full of copepod life daily. Just the glass is kicking my butt, probably me just being imapatient as I like to just look at the life inside the tank but it’s always green lol.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured a UV sterilizer might be the common answer I get looking for something a little less pricey. Hi Ty in general is obviously pricey but may just have to spend the money to get the results I’m looking for thank you.

No problem. I used a cheap Jebao on my smaller 150 gallon and it worked just fine. I think it was less than $80. Cant get cheaper than that.

If you go that route and it still doesn't clear up then my advice is don't sweat it. Just keep cleaning and eventually the tank will balance itself out.

Nutramar Foods

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, I’ve defeated the ugly rock and sand this is all that’s left. I also used bottled bacteria to start the tank if that helps and the pods are thriving the glass is full of copepod life daily. Just the glass is kicking my butt, probably me just being imapatient as I like to just look at the life inside the tank but it’s always green lol.
Just to be sure as it wasn't mentioned, you're using RoDi correct?

MrGisonni

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it's early in the tanks progression. Check your light spectrum...reduce white and red if you can. Your photoperiod is good. Is it near a window? Are your nutrients elevated? Is your top off water free of nutrients and or metals? Be patient, wait it out. I am a fan of using macro algae to out compete undesirable algae in a reef, but your refugium should be helping with that. Maybe adjust your photoperiod and/ or light intensity there.

OP
OP
T

tsantos121

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long are your lights on
Is your tank close to a window
Sorry just read all your post about your lighting time. I would reduce your lighting and what clean up crew have you got .
Clean up crew maybe on the small side at the time I ordered it I didn’t see needing more and didn’t want to kill anything due to lack of available food. Clean up crew is

10 Florida ceriths
10 Drawrf Ceriths
20 Nassarius
20 Nerites
30 Astreas
8 turbo
6 hermit crabs
1 emerald crab
May cut what I have in half and order that to add.

Avast
OP
OP
T

tsantos121

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it's early in the tanks progression. Check your light spectrum...reduce white and red if you can. Your photoperiod is good. Is it near a window? Are your nutrients elevated? Is your top off water free of nutrients and or metals? Be patient, wait it out. I am a fan of using macro algae to out compete undesirable algae in a reef, but your refugium should be helping with that. Maybe adjust your photoperiod and/ or light intensity there.
Thank for the tips. I run T5 mix of blue plus, coral plus and true actinic I just took the pick when the deep blues were off. I run RODI water so ATO and mixed water is clean.

Top Shelf Aquatics
Deltec

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back