Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your build thread indicates you’ve been losing fish to disease, but just a fortnight ago. You don’t think this is related?
I lost the one clownfish to brook and the other clownfish I had to put down because she didn’t eat for a long while. No other fish showed symptoms of being sick after that and they were eating well and active. Unless I’m missing something, I didn’t see any signs to show sickness.

Corals.com

Garf

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost the one clownfish to brook and the other clownfish I had to put down because she didn’t eat for a long while. No other fish showed symptoms of being sick after that and they were eating well and active. Unless I’m missing something, I didn’t see any signs to show sickness.
Ok, assuming you’re correct, have you induced a bacterial bloom that is stealing the oxygen in the water?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sickness is assumed until preps are ran to exclude it, its that bad nowadays. Quarantine and fallow

the entirety of the disease forum is how to prep tanks against disease, how adding any single coral or snail from a pet store brings in new disease / how the tank + all entrants have to be fallow prepped before addition into a display. if current fish had disease it’s a good detail catch to note that along with current fish stress, the combo of events that happened. Rule out ammonia stress

we see patterns developing in disease forum posts where even tanks that went years without fish disease get an outbreak from a deep tank cleaning, somehow latent disease can be kicked up and expressed during tank cleaning runs if the basic disease preps were excluded at the start of the setup or during its stocking phase.

Last edited:
AS

fullinfusion

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CamoFan what's the pH of your water?

This is what I would do in your situation. Test the water which you've already done. Take some sample water to your lfs which you're doing.

Toss the phosphate and nitrate pads in the garbage and just use some type of floss to collect the waste from your tank.

Place a bag of activated carbon in your filtering device. Take your gyre and place it near the surface of the water and get a lot of turbulence happening for gas exchange. Grab a bottle of bactor 7 or Fritz zyme 9 and add it to your tank.

A little side note, do yourself a favor and grab a tropic Marin floating hydrometer and that will give you your precise salinity every time. Don't trust your refractometer and properly calibrate your Hannah tester.

The carbon will get rid of anything that you or somebody else may have accidentally introduced into your system and putting your pump as close to the surface of the water to agitate it violently to do gas exchange and by adding some beneficial bacteria should turn things around within a couple days. This advice is what I would personally do.

Best of luck and I hope this turns around for you quickly.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Big Sale !! UP To 50% OFF !! On Fish Antibiotics
Back