Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been running my tank a year now and I've learned a lot, much from here but unfortunately some through mistakes as well.
I had picked up a Falco Hawkfish, qt'd, made sure it was healthy and eating before putting it in the main tank. All was going very well, really enjoyed watching it, tons of personality.
Then noticed I didn't see it, started looking and could see it down between rocks. Reached in to move the rocks a little and see what was wrong and the water felt like bath water, REALLY warm. Stuck the thermometer in and tank was at 96 degrees!!!
I couldn't figure out what happened, I run an Apex controller and I hadn't gotten any alarms. As I was racking my brain my wife mentioned our pet rabbit was out and gotten behind the tank...but only for a minute.....temp sensor wire was chewed! Apex said tank was 20 degrees and had the heater on constantly for over 12hrs. Hawkfish was dead, started floating bags of ice, fixed the wire, and eventually got everything back to normal. I don't know how but my clowns never missed a beat, swam like nothing was different.
I didn't have an alarm set for low temp so I never knew. I also added a line for the heater that if it's on longer than 15mins to shut off and alarm.
Lesson learned again.....and the bunny is now in jail!!!

KIMG1356.JPG

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
hoffmeyerz

hoffmeyerz

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Sensor was a simple repair. Isolated both wires, spliced back together separated by heat tubing, then heat tube over the whole thing.
You have a very good point though and I've been checking the readings and they've been accurate so far.
Think I'm going to get a new temp sensor anyway.

AS
AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back