Has anyone ever found a pearl in a tridacna clam from their tank?

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's extremely rare but I've heard if you do find a Pearl in a giant Clam they're usually irregular and not very valuable. And anything with a Pearl has primarily been wild-caught.
Most of the pearls we see come from specific pearl-forming oysters.
Conditions in home-aquariums usually would have a lack of potential irritants and the stability and cleanliness of a Reef aquarium would make it harder, pretty much we do maintenance, water changes and clean our systems to prevent the conditions that would promote Pearl formation.
But if you find a pearl in a tank raised Tridacna, that's super-duper rare and definitely worth posting online.
It is possible yes but highly unlikely.

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do t the pearl producing ones need heavily dirty/silty water conditions as well?
I don't believe so, like on Oyster farms they're manually seeded professional to get perfect pearls.
But natural Pearl could form oddly and by a sand grain or parasite.
The parameters for the best Pearl would be nutrient rich, stable clean water with a consistent supply of Phyto and organics for it to syphon and filter feed. Not too silty or dirty because it could impede the filter feeding of the oysters. It mainly just needs that irritant to begin covering it in Nacre.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked up a few days ago online and it said the only pearl producing clams were bailer shell Melo, the giant clam Tridacna, various scallop species, Pen shells Pinna, and the Haliotis iris species of abalone.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess they can end up looking like this!

they can.jpg

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back