Hammer coral with breathing leg?!

dhavalsp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this hammer coral 4 weeks ago. It is doing great so far. I had noticed this unusual crack on the foot from day one but did not think too much of it. I recently saw some poop like stuff getting. Prayed from it and then the slit continued to move as seen in the video. Just curious if this is normal.

OP
OP
D

dhavalsp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds cool and scary at the same time. How should I proceed. Let it be or try to remove it. I am new to this and any thing that requires remote reefing skill is out of bounds for me!

I was planning on dipping this coral in coral rx along with some new ones I am getting later this week. Will dipping this coral result in killing the bivalve?

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds cool and scary at the same time. How should I proceed. Let it be or try to remove it. I am new to this and any thing that requires remote reefing skill is out of bounds for me!

I was planning on dipping this coral in coral rx along with some new ones I am getting later this week. Will dipping this coral result in killing the bivalve?
Most likely. I would just leave it be. It shouldn't harm anything.

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Don't dip it, there's no point, you already put it in the tank, also the bivalve is very cool don't kill it.

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ISpeakForTheSeas Would you happen to have an I.D.?
My best guess - given the lack of uniformity around the edges, the unequal valves, and the fact that the larger valve is attached to the skeleton of the coral - would be an oyster of some kind.

OP, bivalves (including oysters, clams, scallops, mussels, etc.) are harmless filter-feeders; they shouldn't hurt anything in your system, including the hammer coral it's on. I would keep it and enjoy it while it lasts - some bivalves do well in our systems while others don't. To try and help it do well, I would suggest feeding some phytoplankton:
Bivalves are harmless filter feeders; some do well in our tanks, but others tend to starve. If you want to try and help yours do well, you can feed phytoplankton like Isochrysis (Isochrysis galbana [T-Iso]), Chaetoceros (Chaetoceros sp./spp.), and Thalassiosira (Thalassiosira sp./spp.) or a blend containing one or more of those.
diatoms like Chaetoceros, Skeletonema, and Thalassiosira are good options, and a lot of bivalves appreciate things like Isochrysis galbana/T-Iso and Tetraselmis as well.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back