Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know how to get rid of this algea? I've tried everything... has been on sand roughly 6 months...I've siphoned sand plenty of time. RODI is all new filters. Tank is not getting sunlight from window. Some disappears at night. Comes back fast after siphoning. 12hr photo period with 2 hour ramp up/down.

Waterbox 130
2 kessil a360x
2 icecap 4k gyres
Socks/skimmer/carbon

Feed 1 cube a day
3 tangs
Midas blenny
Royal gamma
Tomato clown
Anthias
Chromis
Tons of snails/hermits
2 conchs

Parameters:
(All have been stable as a rock)
Alk 8.0
Cal 434
Mag 1397
No3 5
Po4 0.03
Ph 8.1 - 8.3
Temp 78

20221202_161318.jpg 20221202_161335.jpg 20221202_161342.jpg 20221202_161348.jpg 20221202_161354.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

HankstankXXXL750

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what someone suggested to me. It sound solid, but I haven’t done it yet so can’t tell you how well it works.

“Looks like you're getting various types of nuisance algae grwoing and clumping your sand together. I'd suggest siphoning off the top layer od sand, rinse well in fresh water, soak for a day or so in H2O2 (it's so cheap I use a full bottle but enough to cover the sand is all you need), rinse again in fresh water and let it sit for a day or two then return to your system.

I would try to leave as mush sand as possible when siphoning as there's a lot of important biology in the sand.”

OP
OP
NickyReefs

NickyReefs

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what someone suggested to me. It sound solid, but I haven’t done it yet so can’t tell you how well it works.

“Looks like you're getting various types of nuisance algae grwoing and clumping your sand together. I'd suggest siphoning off the top layer od sand, rinse well in fresh water, soak for a day or so in H2O2 (it's so cheap I use a full bottle but enough to cover the sand is all you need), rinse again in fresh water and let it sit for a day or two then return to your system.

I would try to leave as mush sand as possible when siphoning as there's a lot of important biology in the sand.”

Whatever I vacuum out it just grows ontop of the next layer.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

HankstankXXXL750

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some algae that the snails etc just don’t seem to tackle. The fact that when you siphon it just grows back right away, would tell me that the algae is there and grows when exposed to the light.

Of course you don’t want to eliminate your sand by constantly siphoning, but maybe the cleaning the person suggested to me could help, if you do a little refining of cleaning so much now and pulling some more when the first batch is ready to go back in. Maybe the “clean sand” would act as a light shield keeping the layer below from being able to grow.

Just throwing out options.

MrGisonni

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand sifting starfish will help. And I am a fan of fighting nuisance algae with desirable algae. Caulerpa or red gracilaria macro algae will out competed the others after a while. These macroalgaes look good in the display and are easy to clip back. Watch that your nutrients don't bottom out, mine stripped NO3 out quickly to the point I have had to dose NO3.

bblumberg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure that this is not cyanobacteria? Most snails will not touch that. Trochus snails will eat cyano so adding some could be one option. Have you tried putting standard drug store hydrogen peroxide directly on the algae areas? Get a long coral feeding tube that allows you to suck up a liquid and then apply it directly to a patch. This should kill cyano or algae. One like this

OP
OP
NickyReefs

NickyReefs

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand sifting starfish will help. And I am a fan of fighting nuisance algae with desirable algae. Caulerpa or red gracilaria macro algae will out competed the others after a while. These macroalgaes look good in the display and are easy to clip back. Watch that your nutrients don't bottom out, mine stripped NO3 out quickly to the point I have had to dose NO3.
Have 3 sand sifting stars in tank... have tried a refugium once before and just bottomed out nutrients so have had one in a long time.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
NickyReefs

NickyReefs

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure that this is not cyanobacteria? Most snails will not touch that. Trochus snails will eat cyano so adding some could be one option. Have you tried putting standard drug store hydrogen peroxide directly on the algae areas? Get a long coral feeding tube that allows you to suck up a liquid and then apply it directly to a patch. This should kill cyano or algae. One like this
Not sure if it's cyano... it's green but not bright green... more of a dark brown green. If I was to spot treat with h202 it would take months to hit every part of the sand. Grows at an alarming rate.

Top Shelf Aquatics

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is interesting to me based on my (limited) knowledge that the gsp is not outcompeting whatever that is...unless the sandbed is leeching nutrients and it's growing before the gsp can get to it? Just spit balling... how's your flow on those areas of the sand?

OP
OP
NickyReefs

NickyReefs

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is interesting to me based on my (limited) knowledge that the gsp is not outcompeting whatever that is...unless the sandbed is leeching nutrients and it's growing before the gsp can get to it? Just spit balling... how's your flow on those areas of the sand?
I thought the same thing... I considered my GSP to basically be my refugium haha... sand I siphon and stir pretty regularly and never see much of any detritus come up from it... flow it's pretty agressive sometimes sand will whip up but rarely.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
NickyReefs

NickyReefs

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top down view... no flow... whites on max. It looks terrible . Don't mind my dieing sps they just don't do well in my tank. I don't think 2 kessils is enough light. About to feed the corals.

Attachments

• 20221203_112056.jpg
    20221203_112056.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 27
Deltec

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back