Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry i cant post a picture but one of my Goby's was not found for a while then was found underneath a rock which is normal for them but then when he went out in the open he swam kind of on his side we then took him out of the tank and put into sump where he is laying on its side gasping a little we are trying to get the stress level down as he might have had an encounter with another fish i dont know. Also when we took him out by net he was erratic and seemed to have a lot of energy.

Main question is we spoke to a shop that said to see how he goes in the sump for a little is there any chance of recovery does anyone think mind you the other Goby is fine swimming good both are fed not starved so any help would be appreciated thank you.

Also water quality is great got it tested at the shop forgot to take a picture

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Sorry i cant post a picture but one of my Goby's was not found for a while then was found underneath a rock which is normal for them but then when he went out in the open he swam kind of on his side we then took him out of the tank and put into sump where he is laying on its side gasping a little we are trying to get the stress level down as he might have had an encounter with another fish i dont know. Also when we took him out by net he was erratic and seemed to have a lot of energy.

Main question is we spoke to a shop that said to see how he goes in the sump for a little is there any chance of recovery does anyone think mind you the other Goby is fine swimming good both are fed not starved so any help would be appreciated thank you.

Also water quality is great got it tested at the shop forgot to take a picture
Truly, a pic is most valuable at this time but sounds like fish may be moribund from description which does not offer a high chance of recovery, but merely a guess without pics and additional info such as:
Breathing rate(how rapid)
Is/has fish attempted to eat
Is fish skinny?
Does it appear to have a bent spine?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Reef_Tanks

Reef_Tanks

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truly, a pic is most valuable at this time but sounds like fish may be moribund from description which does not offer a high chance of recovery, but merely a guess without pics and additional info such as:
Breathing rate(how rapid)
Is/has fish attempted to eat
Is fish skinny?
Does it appear to have a bent spine?
ill provide a picture its not the best quality so i really aplogize the breathing rate has slowed down from before but instead of on its side now it seems to be on its back it can swim just in spiral kind of moves and not for that long

goby sick.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Reef_Tanks

Reef_Tanks

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
ill provide a picture its not the best quality so i really aplogize the breathing rate has slowed down from before but instead of on its side now it seems to be on its back it can swim just in spiral kind of moves and not for that long

View attachment 3093831
Ouch- this fish is both thin and moribund and I’d be shocked if it is alive by morning
You can try increasing oxygen with an air stone but there is no medication I can recommend to turn this fish around in its current state of health

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Reef_Tanks

Reef_Tanks

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch- this fish is both thin and moribund and I’d be shocked if it is alive by morning
You can try increasing oxygen with an air stone but there is no medication I can recommend to turn this fish around in its current state of health
unfortunately don't have an airstone i thought it was eating fine at first i guess it might not have gotten what i thought should i leave it in the sump for a little bit in case or do i just let it go?

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
unfortunately don't have an airstone i thought it was eating fine at first i guess it might not have gotten what i thought should i leave it in the sump for a little bit in case or do i just let it go?
Provide as much oxygen as possible

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Reef_Tanks

Reef_Tanks

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Provide as much oxygen as possible
unfortunately when i checked upon it again it has now passed i have my other goby still in there i assume i must've done something wrong as i've never kept these fish before any tips?

Oh and one more thing do you think the cause of death was starvation? because all my other fish are picture perfect swimming fine eating so no sickness i dont think?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
unfortunately when i checked upon it again it has now passed i have my other goby still in there i assume i must've done something wrong as i've never kept these fish before any tips?

Oh and one more thing do you think the cause of death was starvation? because all my other fish are picture perfect swimming fine eating so no sickness i dont think?
These fish are somewhat touchy and you get a healthy one and they eat and remain healthy or decline. When they become thin, it’s an effort to turn them around at times
How is the other one looking?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Reef_Tanks

Reef_Tanks

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These fish are somewhat touchy and you get a healthy one and they eat and remain healthy or decline. When they become thin, it’s an effort to turn them around at times
How is the other one looking?
The other one is swimming all over the tank shifting the sand doing what they do I'm just nervous now because i'm not the most experienced saltwater hobbyist.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Reef_Tanks

Reef_Tanks

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just one other question because i thought that one was eating fine what is the best way to feed these guys without all the other fish coming in and snatching it all?

Thank you so much for your help by the way much appreciated

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Just one other question because i thought that one was eating fine what is the best way to feed these guys without all the other fish coming in and snatching it all?

Thank you so much for your help by the way much appreciated
That is often a challenge but what I have done in the past is to drop food at a location they know you will drop it and add some, go to the other side and add remainder.
Other option is to add flakes, and as fish go to the top, add sinking so all have a chance at something to eat

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Reef_Tanks

Reef_Tanks

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is often a challenge but what I have done in the past is to drop food at a location they know you will drop it and add some, go to the other side and add remainder.
Other option is to add flakes, and as fish go to the top, add sinking so all have a chance at something to eat
I have pellets and the frozen cubes of little shrimp ill try my best to help my last one he looks good right now but yeah dont wanna lose him too. I remember someone saying they aren't that good being alone would that be an issue?

anyways mate thank you for all the help you've provided has definitely gave me a better insight on how to look after them

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have pellets and the frozen cubes of little shrimp ill try my best to help my last one he looks good right now but yeah dont wanna lose him too. I remember someone saying they aren't that good being alone would that be an issue?

anyways mate thank you for all the help you've provided has definitely gave me a better insight on how to look after them
Brine shrimp will be scattered whereas pellets will sink- start with brine and drop pellets. They are likely to persue the brine first
A good added food would be LRS fish frenzy
Being alone should not be an issue

Upvote 0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back