Going on vacation with fish that only eat frozen food.

BRS

ILikeFish!

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im gowing on last minute vacation for a week and i just got a bunch of fish that only eat frozen and i dont think i can wean them all on pellets before i go, I could only have someone come 2-3 days max to feed them. Can the fish go this long without eating?

AquaCave Logo Banner
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

DrMMI

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefdudes did a video a few months ago where he built an auto frozen feeder. Was thinking of trying to do it myself so I don't have to feed as much pellets when I'm working all day.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So im gowing on last minute vacation for a week and i just got a bunch of fish that only eat frozen and i dont think i can wean them all on pellets before i go, I could only have someone come 2-3 days max to feed them. Can the fish go this long without eating?
this is when you know who your real friends are.
I have a very trusted person to feed and check tank when i take trips but prior to that here is what I did. I had a co-worker stop by after work each day.
I made 8 portions placed in saran wrap. When I was leaving, I placed one in fridge on a small paper plate.
He came over and dumped contents in tank, and took another out of freezer and placed in fridge each day. Next day repeat.
The portions were corrected so it could not get screwed up for overfeeding and the fish were happy when I returned

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have aggressive fish they'll be fine.

What types of fish?

Nutramar Foods

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just pre portioned out my food in little containers with RO water. Neighbor came over and dumped it in the tank.

Some of yall must be real hermits.
In my case total opposite, lol. I travel for work about 60-120 days a year. Usually for 2 week stints.

Tired

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just pre portioned out my food in little containers with RO water. Neighbor came over and dumped it in the tank.

That seems like a good way for the food to spoil and/or lose nutritional value. Why not portion it out and put it, still frozen, into one of those weekly pill box things? Have the neighbor thaw it when it's ready to use, or just plonk it in the tank and let the fish sort it out.

Sadly, not everyone has friends who live right next to them, and/or trustworthy neighbors.

Top Shelf Aquatics

doubleshot00

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems like a good way for the food to spoil and/or lose nutritional value. Why not portion it out and put it, still frozen, into one of those weekly pill box things? Have the neighbor thaw it when it's ready to use, or just plonk it in the tank and let the fish sort it out.

Sadly, not everyone has friends who live right next to them, and/or trustworthy neighbors.
Im not asking a non fish person to do more than is needed. And i see no problem of how i have done it in the past. We eat leftovers a week later.

Tired

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your leftovers are, presumably, not raw seafood, and they also (hopefully) don't make up the entirety of your diet, so it's less of a problem if they've lost some of their more fragile nutrients.

"Dump this compartment into a cup of tank water and wait 5 minutes" isn't any more complicated than "dump this cup into the tank". Or just "dump this compartment into the tank" instead.

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

After 24 hrs, food decays even when refrigerated. Does not sound appetizing

Nutramar Foods

doubleshot00

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Food starts to decay as soon as it dies. Whats the point here.

Ill let yall know when my fish won’t eat it or die from this method.

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ok. Food starts to decay as soon as it dies. Whats the point here.

Ill let yall know when my fish won’t eat it or die from this method.
A couple of people have submitted their feelings on this.
This is a forum you know. . . and the point is as stated below in two threads. You are placing food in water which is breaking down the needed fats and vitamins why they were added in the first place and when you get experienced persons offering insight, the arrogance is Not welcomed nor are others apt to help a fellow reefer.
The point is, you are breaking down the food in the process and is being pointed out. The fish will eat it- do they have a choice?

kenjung

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was on 2 weeks vacation with mysis shrimp in a container feeding by Apex dos. The container was smelling but not excessive, you can turn your refrigerator down it will partial ice up the container but
A couple of people have submitted their feelings on this.
This is a forum you know. . . and the point is as stated below in two threads. You are placing food in water which is breaking down the needed fats and vitamins why they were added in the first place and when you get experienced persons offering insight, the arrogance is Not welcomed nor are others apt to help a fellow reefer.
The point is, you are breaking down the food in the process and is being pointed out. The fish will eat it- do they have a choice?

Should be fine if its Mysis shrimp. I was on vacation for 2 weeks with 2 containers of Mysis is small fridge fed through DOS 1 per day for each container. The shrimp supply lasted for 2 weeks, and container was not smelly.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Tired

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fish eat other fishes that are freshly dead (i.e. not spoiled), those dead fishes haven't been through the various processing and shipping methods that fish foods go through, and fish that eat poop as a significant part of their diet are adapted to do so. They aren't adapted to eat spoiled food as a major part of their diet.

Will mildly spoiled food kill your fish? Probably not, no. Is it good for them? Absolutely not. Given that not spoiling their food is easy, why give them spoiled food?

That smelliness that the food gets is bacterial growth. Not a good thing, even in small amounts.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back