G5 open circuit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Swordsaint

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue for my g5 xr30. I notice my fan is not automatically turning on and it maybe overheating causing the open circuit error. I went into the device setting and disable the “Fan Shutdown Enabled” setting to have the fan run constantly. Not sure if this could be a firmware issue or an actual hardware temp sensor failure.

DothanReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still no fix for this, mine is no longer under warranty?
I didn't find one...but I got lucky as Ecotech just replaced mine under warranty within the past two weeks. I was super impressed with their willingness to help - just had to provide some info and patience.

If I find anything on a fix, I'll be sure to post here.

May not hurt to just reach out to Ecotech and see what they may say/offer??

nim6us

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually having the same issue. My XR15 G5 just powers off and I get an "Open circuit" error on Mobius. I've got a ticket open with @Tim at EcoTech who thus far has just asked me for a serial number, hopefully more action to follow.

I'm so glad I found this thread though, it appears that toggling the "Fan Shutdown Enabled" option seems to keep the error from occurring. Since making this change the light hasn't turned off once. So fingers crossed! :grimacing-face:

lazidog

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually having the same issue. My XR15 G5 just powers off and I get an "Open circuit" error on Mobius. I've got a ticket open with @Tim at EcoTech who thus far has just asked me for a serial number, hopefully more action to follow.

I'm so glad I found this thread though, it appears that toggling the "Fan Shutdown Enabled" option seems to keep the error from occurring. Since making this change the light hasn't turned off once. So fingers crossed! :grimacing-face:
I toggled the fan shutdown option and that worked for a few months until it did not. If you are under warranty you need to send it in for sure, if not I found a guy that fixed mine for $100 and did it pretty quick. Was a little nervous using someone I found online but I would use him again. May see if he knows how to fix the crappy power supplies on the Neptune Apex EB832 power bars.

lazidog

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I toggled the fan shutdown option and that worked for a few months until it did not. If you are under warranty you need to send it in for sure, if not I found a guy that fixed mine for $100 and did it pretty quick. Was a little nervous using someone I found online but I would use him again. May see if he knows how to fix the crappy power supplies on the Neptune Apex EB832 power bars.
Alex at [email protected]
FixReef.com

nim6us

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the UK and Ecotech referred me to their partner over here Xodis. They do seem willing to fix it but they’ve insisted I send the light into them first for inspection. This kinda sucks because it’s the only light on my frag tank and I don’t have a spare G5 just laying around. But hopefully will get it fixed soon, I’m going to ship it off next week and will post an update here.

ekandler

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still no fix for this, mine is no longer under warranty?
I would still send it in for a warranty claim. I had a Vectra that I bought used from a friend, definitely didn’t meet the warranty claim criteria as I wasn’t the first owner and didn’t have proof of purchase. No idea how old it was since I didn’t buy it, so i don’t know when the warranty expired and didn’t have the serial number of the pump.

I spoke with Ecotech and they said I could send it in but I’d have to pay. I decided to send it in anyway and they ended up covering the repair in full under the warranty.

nim6us

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for never coming back to update. As I mentioned I don't have another high power light to swap in for my frag tank. That frag tank has been really struggling and it's only recently been hitting it's stride so I'm hesitant to disrupt it's stability.

Odd thing is after some Mobius update I still get the "Open Circuit" error pop up every few weeks, but the light doesn't turn off. As it's not impacting the lights performance I'll likely just leave it alone.

However if I can replace the power supply myself without sending it off I'd be interested in doing that. @SeeFu when you say "replaced the power supply", do you mean you just swapped in a new power brick where the AC adapter cable comes from? Or was it something internal on the light itself?

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Printed Reef - Custom Reef Accessories
Back