Fun quiz! Can you ID SPS by its polyps?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been playing around with my Macro and the Avast Marine porthole. Quiz is self explanatory, can you give me the genus (and species or marketing name if you’re extra smart) of these SPS corals. Hint: all but two are a different genus. IMG_1727.jpeg

A
IMG_4887.jpeg

B
IMG_4880.jpeg

C
IMG_4883.jpeg

D
IMG_4871.jpeg

E
IMG_4851.jpeg

F
IMG_4842.jpeg

@ISpeakForTheSeas i know coral isn’t your thing but thought you may enjoy. No pressure

Most people on here probably wont remember this, butt
I don't recognize these, except maybe the 3rd one is Ronald Regan?

Nice pictures, too lazy to play. I also saw a cup coral. :face-with-rolling-eyes: :cool:

encrustingacro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I know that freak hair pavona isn’t actually pavona it explains why my other pavona is killing it.
IMG_1767.png
The genus Pavona is also polyphyletic, being congener to Leptoseris and Gardineroseris, so different Pavona might not be able to be placed together either. In addition to this, the species level is the only taxonomic rank with an official definition, so what constitutes as a genus, family, etc. is mostly based on vibes. Of course, the taxa still have to be monophyletic, but how large of a clade can included in a taxon is up to the taxonomist. A coral scientist I know gave a good analogy for this: "We're probably more closely related to chimpanzees than Favites is to Echinopora."

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

I’m pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The genus Pavona is also polyphyletic, being congener to Leptoseris and Gardineroseris, so different Pavona might not be able to be placed together either. In addition to this, the species level is the only taxonomic rank with an official definition, so what constitutes as a genus, family, etc. is mostly based on vibes. Of course, the taxa still have to be monophyletic, but how large of a clade can included in a taxon is up to the taxonomist. A coral scientist I know gave a good analogy for this: "We're probably more closely related to chimpanzees than Favites is to Echinopora."
I’ve heard that too. In fact I thought I heard some jellyfish in the same genus are less related then humans and lizards or something like that.

You really seem to be an expert and we definitely need some coral experts on the forum!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back