+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy y’all.

Last year my mother and I wanted a change from our poor goldfish, after a sad case of fin rot forced us to put them down. After she's done freshwater for longer then I’ve been alive, we both decided it was time for a change. One local selling their saltwater aquarium later, and we were cycling a tank, ready to start a new hobby!

My first picture of the tank, no fish, when we just started cycling. View attachment 3019320
Our tank today, it look quite a bit different!
View attachment 3019325

We’ve had our ups and downs in the aquarium, but we’ve seemed to have avoided a lot of the ‘new tank’ issues others have reported, save for a bit of ick that we’re treating for currently.

Currently, we have 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 feather duster, 1 clownfish, 2 bluegreen chromises, 2 pajama cardinalfish, and a big, fat, happy, bumbling sea hare. At this point, we would trade everything in the tank for that sea hare.

We have no intention of doing coral, but hope to purchase some ornamental algae for the tank.

It’s nice to meet y’all!

Welcome! Glad you joined. FOWLR tanks are AWESOME and you have so much more possibilities when it comes to fish! There is a whole Forum just for FOWLR. I do have fake coral (PetSmart) in my FOWLR just to give pop of color. Its so much less work than my reef. Maybe you and your mom will go to MACNA in September. This year it is in PA so I am flying in for it - it will be my first MACNA.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread under Forum > Member Aquariums and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you in PA:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Diaper
Back