Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up front I will say - I can be abrasive, opinionated and sometimes harsh. However, I can also be honest, upfront, scientific and friendly. Second - I really like this site - for the information and community feeling.

Recently - I read a disturbing couple of threads concerning people leaving R2R. The names and dates etc are not important. I was not sure the appropriate place to put this post - or even whether I should post it at all - but here goes. (What Im posting is not a complaint - its a couple suggestions to help the community)

IMHO - a site only works in a 'friendly' manner (as this site is suggested to be) when there is openness and consistency. While I understand the need for moderators - and policies - IMHO - the policies need to be enforced consistently.

1. Negative posts about vendors are moved from their forum to the 'vendor feedback forum'. (which until recently I didnt know existed) - Positive posts are left in the vendors forum. This isnt consistent. (And it is not in any policy I have read).
2. Is there a place on the site where its explained (again apologies if I have missed it) the hierarchy of the staff, moderators, reef squad, etc. and how one attains those positions? I recently read that the 'reef squad' is held to a higher standard - what is that standard?
3. I have seen posts that were down-right rude and/or insulting that are left for everyone to see - yet I - when I've been perceived (admittedly) abrasive - have been privately warned that 'many people here don't like you'. Is that a friendly site? I would much prefer being called out by a moderator for my behavior in public as compared to a private warning. And - I would much prefer seeing others called out for their posts as well (as compared to deleting threads, etc). Thats just an opinion.
4. Friends (married couples, parents/children etc) can disagree without being 'unfriendly'. What prompted this post was several threads where it seemed as if staff were telling users 'dont say that - this is a friendly site' - when it was merely constructive criticism - and not 'unfriendly'. Its like any disagreement (whether warranted or not) is unfriendly. To me that makes a less friendly not a more friendly site.

The comments above are not related to any specific incident - but several - and they seem to be increasing - not decreasing - I myself - who loves the site in general have considered quitting entirely a couple months ago. Maybe this should be in the 'suggestion forum' or deleted - IDK - but to @revhtree I hope you consider what I'm saying in the spirit in which I'm saying it - not as criticism - but to help. To the rest that have to read my ramblings - I apologize.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Avast

erk

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As my manager told me once, "use emoticons to help get tone across in messages." Tone and attitude don't come across well in written messages. Add emoticons, acronyms(lol, lol, etc), etc to help communicate your intention as well as message. I also think a lot of people on this site post before they have a chance to read what they've written. I like to reread whatever I post a couple times to make sure it is legible and polite.

erk

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id rather have factual information, rather then friendly misinformation.

Friendly and factual information is also an option. Takes just a bit more effort, but I think it's worth it.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that's why Humble left and posts in RC now?

I have no idea about humble. It wasn't about anything specific. It was about my interactions with the site in general - of which 95 percent are positive. I also seriously wanted to know the answer to the questions.

Michael Gilbreath

we all have are ways
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it seems lately some have been trying to start arguments more then help fellow reefers. I don't post a lot but I am on here almost everyday. Just don't want to argue don't mind debating something but seems lately a few just want to get a rise out of others.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it seems lately some have been trying to start arguments more then help fellow reefers. I don't post a lot but I am on here almost everyday. Just don't want to argue don't mind debating something but seems lately a few just want to get a rise out of others.

Unfortunately (character flaw of mine) I rise to the debating challenge...

erk

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know of a recent situation this thread is in response to, and I was one of the people that reported the OP of that thread to get Mods support. Honestly, that whole thread should've been deleted. It was a thread started by someone in a bad mood from dealing with a common vendor. It's those situations that threads shouldn't be created. The OP of that thread should've stopped and taken a breather before posting. Instead it created a lot of angst and frustration for the OP and all who got involved.

Edit: I won't lie though, I got a good laugh from many of the responses I that thread too.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea about humble. It wasn't about anything specific. It was about my interactions with the site in general - of which 95 percent are positive. I also seriously wanted to know the answer to the questions.
Oh ok, I was just curious as he's been really active over there and never on here anymore. All good.

Top Shelf Aquatics

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know of a recent situation this thread is in response to, and I was one of the people that reported the OP of that thread to get Mods support. Honestly, that whole thread should've been deleted. It was a thread started by someone in a bad mood from dealing with a common vendor. It's those situations that threads shouldn't be created. The OP of that thread should've stopped and taken a breather before posting. Instead it created a lot of angst and frustration for the OP and all who got involved.

Edit: I won't lie though, I got a good laugh from many of the responses I that thread too.
Lol that thread was quite funny. However when the OP starts calling people names I would report as well. No need for that stuff.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did as well. Honestly - it wasnt that either - though I feel strongly about that thread and the deleting part. I spent a fair bit of time researching the issue - to have everything deleted was irritating. As I (as compared to some) was trying to help - but that thread is one example as of late.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't apologize @MnFish1 I've noticed a disturbing uptick in the "Negative" posts from certain members who should be held to a higher standard. I ofcourse report these as you are supposed to. If you were warned privately saying many people don't like you that's just... well if it was from a staff member, beyond inexcusable and they should be removed immediately. And if they aren't going to do that. Well that calls in to question the entire integrity of every staff member IMO.

I've been at odds with certain "Staff" members before and as a whole I'm rather disappointed with how this site is moderated. But for me, It's not quite enough to get me to leave, although I did take a step away for about a month. And I constantly debate whether or not I will renew my membership.

Theres nothing wrong with a good debate, within reason, and I've seen you debate numerous things lol asking questions is what helps us all grow and as long as you're not being rude or anything in doing so I don't see the issue.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will also point out - I wrote a general post - didnt mention names or even specific issues - but everyone has their 'guess' as to what the problem is/was. That IMHO (and guilty as charged) is the problem with 'trying to be friendly' as compared to being 'honest in a friendly manner'. Everyone assumes they are the guilty party.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres nothing wrong with a good debate, within reason, and I've seen you debate numerous things lol asking questions is what helps us all grow and as long as you're not being rude or anything in doing so I don't see the issue.
Like I said - guilty as charged:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back