View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my Fluval Evo for a little over a year, similar setup as you:
AI Prime 16HD; AI Nero 3; Ehiem Compacton 1000; Cobalt Heater; Tunze ATO

I was running two intank media baskets - filter floss, purigen, and phosguard in chamber one and matrix biomedia in chamber two.

I've since added a PS2 protein skimmer - I had high phosphates and this helped a lot! This also helps if you are feeding reef roids/frozen foods (in my opinion) - I ran without it for year a couple and wanted to see the benefits of adding a skimmer. Long story short, you can go a little longer w/ out a water change - this isn't the best protein skimmer on the market, you definitely won't get a dry skim, but it'll get the job done. You will need an ATO to keep the water level at the same level to get a consistent skim.

A couple of things that I believe are non-negotiable for a nano reef:

1. Weekly water changes and water testing - parameters in a nano tank fluctuate very easily, catch it before it becomes a problem.
2. Keep your livestock (fish) minimal and got heavy with a cleanup crew - all I had for the first year was a clownfish and fire shrimp, I just recently added a goby but I wouldn't do any more fish than that.
3. Control your feeding - I've gone down to 3 times per week and only feed reef roids once per week
4. Get a good clean up crew

Overall, it's a fun tank with a lot of add-on options, and great for a first reef! Hope this helped.
Thanks mate am just re scaping it now as i wasnt happy with the boring 2 rocks i had. Thanks for advice ill update ya when ive got it all done sometime this week

Reefing Reefer

If you build it, reefs will come
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sharing photo of the gunk my skimmer is pulling out - I know the Ps2 skimmer gets a bad wrap, and people advise against a skimmer on the Evo 13.5, but it works wonders for me.

Attachments

• 5DEC4834-D1C4-439B-A951-7019A00E22ED.jpeg
    5DEC4834-D1C4-439B-A951-7019A00E22ED.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 27
Top Shelf Aquatics

Johnb65

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks mate am just re scaping it now as i wasnt happy with the boring 2 rocks i had. Thanks for advice ill update ya when ive got it all done sometime this week
Would love to see pics of your filter/chamber set up. Considering the Fluval Evo myself this week

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tenecor Aquariums
Back