Flame Angelfish vertical swimming

ginnyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

My flame angelfish of recent addition to our tank (3 days) as of this morning has started swimming vertically.

Water parameters:
Salinity 1.024
PH 8.3
Nil nitrate or ammonia.

She has not eaten since this morning and was perfectly normal yesterday. Speaking to a lfs they stated she was probably spooked and hit her head hard and now is a bit “coocoo”.

Has anyone had this before and can they confirm if this is the most likely case of what has happened? It’s horrible to see her suffering :/.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• -3271408979898320529.mp4
    3.3 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hi all,

My flame angelfish of recent addition to our tank (3 days) as of this morning has started swimming vertically.

Water parameters:
Salinity 1.024
PH 8.3
Nil nitrate or ammonia.

She has not eaten since this morning and was perfectly normal yesterday. Speaking to a lfs they stated she was probably spooked and hit her head hard and now is a bit “coocoo”.

Has anyone had this before and can they confirm if this is the most likely case of what has happened? It’s horrible to see her suffering :/.

Thanks in advance.
I hope they didnt sell this to you as a flame angel as its a Cherub angel and looks a bit thin and looking at the tail , its a victim of aggression and has been beat up and looks quite weak. What other fish do you have in the tank with it?
Its possible this fish based on body weight may have become moribund. Did you see it it in the store before purchase?

OP
OP
ginnyy

ginnyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope they didnt sell this to you as a flame angel as its a Cherub angel and looks a bit thin and looking at the tail , its a victim of aggression and has been beat up and looks quite weak. What other fish do you have in the tank with it?
Its possible this fish based on body weight may have become moribund. Did you see it it in the store before purchase?
thanks for your reply!

I’ve just checked the order and to confirm they sold it as “fireball angelfish”.

If it is a victim of aggression i would be shocked as the fish have always been good together.

We have in the tank:
Valentini puffer - with a good temperament and no aggression seen.
Lawnmower blenny
Purple Mandarin
2 common clownfish
Firefish

We ordered online from abyss aquatics due to no stock for this fish local to us as we are quite remote.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
thanks for your reply!

I’ve just checked the order and to confirm they sold it as “fireball angelfish”.

If it is a victim of aggression i would be shocked as the fish have always been good together.

We have in the tank:
Valentini puffer - with a good temperament and no aggression seen.
Lawnmower blenny
Purple Mandarin
2 common clownfish
Firefish

We ordered online from abyss aquatics due to no stock for this fish local to us as we are quite remote.
Clowns are my suspect.
This is a fish that should be quarantined as im sure it was not pre-quarantined and how did you acclimate fish and for how long?
First issue I see id them shipping a fish this thin. Fireball angel makes more sense as well as flameback

OP
OP
ginnyy

ginnyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think for the future the clowns will be okay with the other fish?

And right okay we only had the fish quarantined for a day.

We acclimated for 30 mins in the bag, then increasing cup full of water every 3 minutes from the tank for 10 minutes. - These were instructions as per the aquatics store in the delivery.

This is such a heartbreak but to have some idea of what has happened is really helpful so thank you once again.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Water parameters:
Salinity 1.024
PH 8.3
Nil nitrate or ammonia.

Thanks in advance.

That's a Centropyge acanthops, AKA - orangeback angelfish, flameback angelfish, African pygmy angelfish and in South Africa as the Jumping Bean.

It could have hit its head on something, but that is uncommon. However, the weakened, head up swimming is a serious symptom, but is not specific to any disease or issue, so I can't tell you if there might be a treatment.

Watch the other fish closely for any signs of symptoms.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Do you think for the future the clowns will be okay with the other fish?

And right okay we only had the fish quarantined for a day.

We acclimated for 30 mins in the bag, then increasing cup full of water every 3 minutes from the tank for 10 minutes. - These were instructions as per the aquatics store in the delivery.

This is such a heartbreak but to have some idea of what has happened is really helpful so thank you once again.
Poor instructions they gave you. Float the bag to adjust temperature, Yes, Then best is to release the contents into a clean bucket and add water every 10-15 minutes to equalize the salinity of the bag with that of the display tank. Quarantine for 30 days assures fish is free of disease and has begun eating and adapting to tank conditions. Keep an eye on clowns who can be devious and often on their best behavior in your presence.

OP
OP
ginnyy

ginnyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor instructions they gave you. Float the bag to adjust temperature, Yes, Then best is to release the contents into a clean bucket and add water every 10-15 minutes to equalize the salinity of the bag with that of the display tank. Quarantine for 30 days assures fish is free of disease and has begun eating and adapting to tank conditions. Keep an eye on clowns who can be devious and often on their best behavior in your presence.
Thank you for the help guys, she unfortunately passed away this afternoon which was tough.

Hearing this information is great though and i’ll be using this for future fish i add into my tank.

I really appreciate your help and i will be strict with my acclimation and quarantining now!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Thank you for the help guys, she unfortunately passed away this afternoon which was tough.

Hearing this information is great though and i’ll be using this for future fish i add into my tank.

I really appreciate your help and i will be strict with my acclimation and quarantining now!
As mentioned - looked moribund in which recovery is low. Sorry to hear

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back