Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We added our first Corals to the reef yesterday. We got a small mushroom, Toadstool Leather, and a green torch with yellow tips. Did a dip in Coral RX and added them to the tank. It hasn't been 24 hours yet, so my expectations are low. The mushroom seems fine and the toadstool looks to be slowly opening up. The torch is wrapped up tight, which I assume is normal, but I noticed some of the tips seem to be broken and I saw a few tips have broken off.

Is there anything I can/should do or do I just need to wait it out? It's not in a super high flow area, but maybe it should be moved to less flow.
The photo and video are below for reference. You can see some of the broken tips at the bottom.

I'm sure I'm just overthinking it and everything will be fine, but figured I would ask on the off chance that there is something actionable here.

IMG_2433.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? It's better to start in low flow and lower light if it appears to be having acclimation concerns. Torches are moderately difficult euphyllia to sustain and should not be used as first corals in a new tank

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Rob1208

Rob1208

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? It's better to start in low flow and lower light if it appears to be having acclimation concerns. Torches are moderately difficult euphyllia to sustain and should not be used as first corals in a new tank
Tank is just over 5 months old. All parameters seem to be in the "standard" range. dHK is 8.7, Calcium is 400ppm (a little low, I believe), ph is 8.4, salinity 1.025, etc...

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is just over 5 months old. All parameters seem to be in the "standard" range. dHK is 8.7, Calcium is 400ppm (a little low, I believe), ph is 8.4, salinity 1.025, etc...
Mag? They love higher mag levels 1450 ish

Nutramar Foods

Matt Bravo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would low mag be the cause of this problem?
I agree, you should def check mag since most lps usually are fans of higher mag about 1400 ish. My hammer was def annoyed with my low mag levels. I had them at about 1100 then I started dosing got it up to 1300 and it’s looking much better. I am still trying to get it a bit higher but i would def recommend testing your mag

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
We added our first Corals to the reef yesterday. We got a small mushroom, Toadstool Leather, and a green torch with yellow tips. Did a dip in Coral RX and added them to the tank. It hasn't been 24 hours yet, so my expectations are low. The mushroom seems fine and the toadstool looks to be slowly opening up. The torch is wrapped up tight, which I assume is normal, but I noticed some of the tips seem to be broken and I saw a few tips have broken off.

Is there anything I can/should do or do I just need to wait it out? It's not in a super high flow area, but maybe it should be moved to less flow.
The photo and video are below for reference. You can see some of the broken tips at the bottom.

I'm sure I'm just overthinking it and everything will be fine, but figured I would ask on the off chance that there is something actionable here.

View attachment 3111684

View attachment 3111689
These are receding. This is caused by stress from:
Elevated phosphate
Too much current which subjects the polyps to tearing off the skeleton
lack of feeding
Light too intense

This is a photosynthetic coral which has a relationship with its zooxanthellae that lives inside its tissues that converts the light into energy which in turn feeds it. Mysis shrimp is a good food for this type of coral. Its best to place a torch
where it gets moderate flow and moderate-medium intensity lighting. Also assure the calcium is no less than 390 for skeletal health

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Rob1208

Rob1208

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, you should def check mag since most lps usually are fans of higher mag about 1400 ish. My hammer was def annoyed with my low mag levels. I had them at about 1100 then I started dosing got it up to 1300 and it’s looking much better. I am still trying to get it a bit higher but i would def recommend testing your mag
@Troylee and @Luckydinamite, thanks for the heads up. I don't have a mag test kit. Which do you prefer?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Troylee and @Luckydinamite, thanks for the heads up. I don't have a mag test kit. Which do you prefer?
If you are doing regular weekly water changes with a quality salt mix, your mag is fine. When you get a full bioload of corals then you might start seeing slight mag consumption and need a supplement dose once a week.

OP
OP
Rob1208

Rob1208

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are doing regular weekly water changes with a quality salt mix, your mag is fine. When you get a full bioload of corals then you might start seeing slight mag consumption and need a supplement dose once a week.
Yep, I'm doing 10% every week with Red Sea Coral Pro

Matt Bravo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have that salt but I realize after time the parameters on the bucket decease in the water. I would test everything so I can be sure where my tank is sitting right now. Also I use Salifert mag test kit. I found it confusing to use at first so def ask for help on how to use it if you need to

Top Shelf Aquatics

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I use as well. Some parameters need to be checked weekly or even multiple times a week but stuff like mag or cal is fine for monthly. You were smart to wait some months before adding corals to allow your tank to develop biodiversity and microfauna. Weekly water changes should be all you need right now to maintain balanced numbers as long as your feeding fish correctly. I use Hanna for magnesium checks but salifert is ok too.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from bad to worse... looks like Brown jelly syndrome... I don't have a QT tank with proper lighting, so what are my options?

View attachment 3113109 View attachment 3113110

View attachment 3113111
Sorry Dude shes gone. It happens and has happened to me. I used to have a frog spawn colony that was the size of a basket ball. I would frag huge sections off to give away. One day it got sick and died. Super sad but I kept going and eventually got one head back from someone. Sometimes corals are just annoying and don't work out. I would recommend a frogspawn to start, they seem to to a little tougher as torch corals have been a little harder in the past for me. Sometimes they come with some sort of bacteria that kills them after they become weakened from shipping.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Rob1208

Rob1208

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Dude shes gone. It happens and has happened to me. I used to have a frog spawn colony that was the size of a basket ball. I would frag huge sections off to give away. One day it got sick and died. Super sad but I kept going and eventually got one head back from someone. Sometimes corals are just annoying and don't work out. I would recommend a frogspawn to start, they seem to to a little tougher as torch corals have been a little harder in the past for me. Sometimes they come with some sort of bacteria that kills them after they become weakened from shipping.
Thanks... yeah, I took her out so nothing else would get infected with whatever this is. I probably jumped the gun a bit. The Mushroom looks to be doing the best (naturally the smallest and cheapest frag is doing best)... the toadstool is not happy, but doesn't appear to be dying... Thanks for the guidance. I need to take a step back. I thought the tank was ready to go, but I guess not.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Ecotech Marine
Back