+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone
I bought a green leather toadstool the other day and it's been in my tank for three days. I drip-acclimated the coral into the tank and am still waiting for the polyps to come out. I increased the flow today to moderate flow on day three. The light is a low-level light which my mushroom corals are thriving on. The tank is still in its first month but the parameters are stable except for abit of a high ammonia. I am going to do a water change later today for the ammonia but i have been told from my LFS that they would still open in those paramters. I beloieve it could be shedding as i saw a glossy film on top of the coral. I have also seen what seems to be a parasite but the coral was fine in the LFS so i dont think that is the reason. My main question is . Is it normal for them to still be closed or could it be dying.

AS

Mav88

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There shouldn’t be ammonia present. Are you testing with an API test kit because usually read ammonia when it’s not present. Leathers will close up sometimes 2 weeks at a time while they shed skin. My toadstool likes a good amount of flow to help shed. Did you dip your coral or place it directly in display?

OP
OP
BlackiceClowns

BlackiceClowns

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There shouldn’t be ammonia present. Are you testing with an API test kit because usually read ammonia when it’s not present. Leathers will close up sometimes 2 weeks at a time while they shed skin. My toadstool likes a good amount of flow to help shed. Did you dip your coral or place it directly in display?
I placed mine straight into the DT without a dip. Now that I think about it I probably should have. It came from a reputable source. Or so I thought. I am using an API test kit for ammonia. My tank cycled with precycled media and dr tim one and only so I don't think there should be ammonia. The reading is already pretty low.

Doogs

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I placed mine straight into the DT without a dip. Now that I think about it I probably should have. It came from a reputable source. Or so I thought. I am using an API test kit for ammonia. My tank cycled with precycled media and dr tim one and only so I don't think there should be ammonia. The reading is already pretty low.
You should always dip you coral and your tank is cycled when you have no ammonia.

Mav88

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would let it be at this point. You probably don’t have any ammonia and the leather will more than likely open up in time. I always place corals in a rack I place in one of those reptile carry containers in my tank with the top out of the water to observe for pests before dipping as it can cause more stress. I also like to keep the small brittle stars that seem to always hitch a ride to my tank on frags. Good luck with your coral keep us posted! Time to move from API test kits, only good for monitoring the cycle.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

SR
Back