• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Fish order Dr reef quarantined fish

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TSM no longer quarantined just FYI. I’ve seen them mentioned to use as a sub.

debating this vendor but seems very hit or miss.

FisHotel? Just 1 state over from us too. Here is a tour basically:

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

Aluco

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience is 6 for 9 with Dr reef. Lost a foxface and Toby in shipment, then the replacement foxface didn't ship due to it not doing well. Seems like a lot of shipment issues, the fish that have arrived alive have been in good health, seems like a waste to go through all that trouble just to slack on packaging and letting them die in shipment. Slack on shipment as in not enough water, not enough heat, not well packaged in box. Other places ship their animals much better imo

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does tsm for sure not quarantine anymore? I've received a fish from them recently...

IDK, they got bought out by another LFS near them. I don't even think they are a sponsor here anymore.

So can't have a clue what has changed or if the QT is the same or not... or if it will go downhill now..

BirdFish5000

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TSM claim they quarantine through a 30 day process. There was a dumb hub-bub on the other forum about them being dropped as an approved vendor from said other site. When I asked TSM directly, they were not aware and they plainly stated they didn't care.

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've had nothing but great experiences with Dr. Reef. I've probably ordered over 50 fish total from him over the years. Yes we've had some DOA which he promptly took care of. His responses to me have been prompt. I've learned my lesson not to order during the middle of winter. I ordered back in December but specifically requested spring shipment. Sometimes we are the ones to blame for expecting fish to survive in an artificial box for 24-48 hours during brutal winter conditions.

I'm shocked to read some of these reviews because my experiences have been not even remotely close to these negative ones. I will continue ordering from Dr. Reef.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TSM claim they quarantine through a 30 day process. There was a dumb hub-bub on the other forum about them being dropped as an approved vendor from said other site. When I asked TSM directly, they were not aware and they plainly stated they didn't care.

They were dropped because they no longer do observation but otherwise did QT fish. I was happy with TSM for sure.

It seems they have since been taken over by another fish store and are no longer a sponsor on R2R. What that means for the future of TSM or how they now QT fish and if it is the same standards, idk

AquaCave Logo Banner

Aluco

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They kind of branded themselves as a qt vendor and if they abruptly change their protocol I hope they make it clear to everyone.

As for ordering during winter, that's a good point And should be taken into consideration however dr reef used a very small amount of water when I received a doa foxface, the bag was not leaking but was deflated, milky and stank. The puffer bag was laying on its side, in very shallow water with it spread out over the length of the bag. The packaging left a lot to be desired

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They kind of branded themselves as a qt vendor and if they abruptly change their protocol I hope they make it clear to everyone.

As for ordering during winter, that's a good point And should be taken into consideration however dr reef used a very small amount of water when I received a doa foxface, the bag was not leaking but was deflated, milky and stank. The puffer bag was laying on its side, in very shallow water with it spread out over the length of the bag. The packaging left a lot to be desired

Well the thing is, the company was not transparent that a change had happened or what was going on. It was all very odd. I unsubscribed from their emails because of the lack of transparency.

If they had sent out an email letting me know what was up or introducing themselves, I would have felt much better. I just don’t know how I am supposed to trust someone who seemed to just try and fly under the radar. Plus they kept calling it website maintenance but that is because they had to transfer all the credits and purchases to the robron coral. Calling it “maintenance” is an insult to people’s intelligence imo.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1677727657442.png

Dr. Reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered a neon blue goby and a hi fin goby in early January from dr reef. Just received it today. The neon goby was dead and the hi fin goby is half an inch and I’d be really surprised if he doesn’t instantly get decimated in the tank. I’ve heard good things so maybe I just had a bad experience but I wanted to share lol

View attachment 3038510
this goby is tank bred and raised and at its highest it will be 1.5" in the wild it gets to maximum 2".

Nutramar Foods

Dr. Reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All those wonrdering about DOA. Ask yourself a simple question. What benefit do i get sending a dead fish to you?
Like i dont lose money on shipping? like i dont lose time effort material packing etc?

This is why there is a disclamer on the website, winter shipping is harsh and should be prefered to send to a hub.
Everytime i post a sale or something i always mention take deliver 2-3 months later and every heat pack manufacturer tells us heat packs fail under 40F.

Anyone saying we just ship without looking at weather< I didnt ship 3 weeks of dec. I didnt ship 2 weeks in jan and and 10 days in feb.

If someone wants more water and bigger bags please feel free to contact us and we will charge you actuall shippign cost and send you as much water and bigger size box they like.

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, i ordered the yellow banded wrasse in your profile pic a few months ago and it was actually gigantic lol i thought it would be much smaller. no complaints as that is now one of my favorite fish but i was suprised at the size and mine is pretty much all grey rather than the slight red coloration i was expecting. maybe a gender thing?

anyway, i gotta start specifying my preferred size for the fish i order lol.
How big? My little friend is about an inch long!

Dr. Reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yes I do this for the passion i have for the hobby. I own 3 businesses in Tulsa. Tulsa Taxi, 918 Affordable Limo and chain of gas stations, Kwick Stop.... I am not a doctor like someone commented. I am a software engineer by education. All this info is on About Us section of our website.

So if anyone has a problem with my comment that i dont do this for the fun and passion can come by and I will be happy to give them a tour of my stores and businesses. I will personally accomodate your stay in Tulsa at no expense to you.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Aluco

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Dr reef:) I really do appreciate what you do, all the fish that arrived alive have all been in good health, well fed, no disease. But would it not benefit your business to add a bit more water and tighten up these small shipping things? I assume a bit of water and a bit more packing material is cheaper than acquiring another fish, qt'ing and shipping again. Not wanting to be too negative, just something I've been thinking about and thought I'd ask.

Dr. Reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Dr reef:) I really do appreciate what you do, all the fish that arrived alive have all been in good health, well fed, no disease. But would it not benefit your business to add a bit more water and tighten up these small shipping things? I assume a bit of water and a bit more packing material is cheaper than acquiring another fish, qt'ing and shipping again. Not wanting to be too negative, just something I've been thinking about and thought I'd ask.
Absolutely. That's why I didn't comment on it. Until now honestly I can show you email after email of people.saying packing was wonderful. So I had no idea. I can only know what feedback I am getting. So now with this thread I will pass this on to my team and we will work on sizes and water quantity.

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Precise.Accurate.Reliable.ICP-OES by Reef Labs
Back