Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no, theres purple red color near its gills. Is this velvet? How could this happen?

It's really important to add some photos and videos for people to get a real idea of what's going on.

As to how this could happen, I think someone made a decent conjecture earlier.

Cupramine needs to be at .5 to be effective. It’s possible an infection was suppressed at the level, and the water change lowered it enough for infection to take hold.

Ok so i've had treated the tank with cupramine at full does.

This is generally not good practice. Copper gets absorbed by liverock / leaches out of liverock (depending on which side has the greater concentration). So, it's very unlikely you had copper at a level that was high enough to treat velvet. I don't know how to test for cupramine (I use copper power and a Hannah checker), but you should absolutely figure out how to test for it and net make assumptions based on the medication's dosing instructions. Copper is poison, plain and simple: you need to use it with caution.

World Wide Corals

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ok so i've had treated the tank with cupramine at full does. The fish hasnt been eating for the past 5 days.
What dosage level are you treating at and how are you testing? There is a likelihood with rock and substrate some has been absorbed and your therapuetic level of treatment is not on target or even overdosed.
Can you provide a pic of overall tank under white lighting ?

OP
OP
P

Perkthemacha

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you also using UV?
Nope
What dosage level are you treating at and how are you testing? There is a likelihood with rock and substrate some has been absorbed and your therapuetic level of treatment is not on target or even overdosed.
Can you provide a pic of overall tank under white lighting ?
I didnt test the copper level but will test it tomorrow and see whether should i dose more. And sorry the lights of the tank spoilt and i cant find a store that have such a good one.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Nope

I didnt test the copper level but will test it tomorrow and see whether should i dose more. And sorry the lights of the tank spoilt and i cant find a store that have such a good one.
Im getting a bad feeling you may have overdosed and copper test kit- Hanna brand is best. Copper can be a poison if not properly administered.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back