Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 200g tank and it has been set up for around 2 years. I have a powder blue, blonde naso and a saddleback butterfly. The naso and saddleback were added in last month.

Everything has been going well but yesterday all my fish started to act strangely. All werent eating as normal and swimming properly. The butterfly was just hovering and the naso was swimming at the wavemaker.

This morning the butterflyfish died and so i did a 25% water change. Then the 2 other fish start laying on its back and looks like its going to die.

My parameters are still stable. I dont know what to do. What could be the problem to this?

fishguy242

Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
P

Perkthemacha

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not moving but is breathing very hard.

Attachments

• 20230221_122659.jpg
    20230221_122659.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 78
Nutramar Foods

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope but the whole tank is already treated with copper

Are the fish currently in copper? Which copper product and what is the dose? It sure sounds like either velvet or some major water quality issue....

Jay

OP
OP
P

Perkthemacha

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the fish currently in copper? Which copper product and what is the dose? It sure sounds like either velvet or some major water quality issue....

Jay
Yes they are in copper. I used cupramine and it was at 0.25 but after the water change i didnt measure it. 8 hours ago, both powderblue and naso were laying on their side but now they started to swim a little bit but not too active. Dk whether is it because of the water change which made them so stressful.

Nutramar Foods

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope but the whole tank is already treated with copper

You've treated your display tank with copper?

As I understand it, this isn't the best practice as live rock will absorb copper making it difficult to keep it (copper) at therapeutic levels. Also, copper will leach from the rock, long after you stopped dosing it.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
P

Perkthemacha

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does sound like Velvet behavior.

Ok so now i just did a freshwater dip on the naso as it keeps swim at the wavemaker and i thought it was flukes. When it was in the freshwater, it keep pooping continuously but the poop was brown in colour, so i guess it was fine? Is it normal for marine fish to poop a lot when it is in freshwater?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ok so now i just did a freshwater dip on the naso as it keeps swim at the wavemaker and i thought it was flukes. When it was in the freshwater, it keep pooping continuously but the poop was brown in colour, so i guess it was fine? Is it normal for marine fish to poop a lot when it is in freshwater?
yes from stressors as FW dip will impose stress. For treatment. . . . fish with velvet will typically stay at the surface of the water, or remain in a position where a steady flow of water is present in the aquarium. As the disease progresses outwards from the gills, the cysts then become visible on the fins and body. Although these cysts may appear as tiny white dots the size of a grain of salt, like the first sign of Saltwater Ich or White Spot Disease, what sets Oodinium apart from other types of ich is that at this point the fish have the appearance of being coated with what looks like a whitish or tan to golden colored, velvet-like film, thus the name Velvet Disease.
Remove fish from main tank and give them a FW dip or bath and then place them into a QT with vigorous aeration provided. Treat the fish in the QT with a copper-based medication. Although many remedies contain the general name as ich or ick treatments, read the box to be sure it targets Oodinium. My choice is coppersafe or copper power at 2.25-2.5 therapuetic level at 80 degrees for a FULL 30 days monitored by a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna Brand (no api brand). Assure the medication you use states treats Oodinum.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
P

Perkthemacha

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes from stressors as FW dip will impose stress. For treatment. . . . fish with velvet will typically stay at the surface of the water, or remain in a position where a steady flow of water is present in the aquarium. As the disease progresses outwards from the gills, the cysts then become visible on the fins and body. Although these cysts may appear as tiny white dots the size of a grain of salt, like the first sign of Saltwater Ich or White Spot Disease, what sets Oodinium apart from other types of ich is that at this point the fish have the appearance of being coated with what looks like a whitish or tan to golden colored, velvet-like film, thus the name Velvet Disease.
Remove fish from main tank and give them a FW dip or bath and then place them into a QT with vigorous aeration provided. Treat the fish in the QT with a copper-based medication. Although many remedies contain the general name as ich or ick treatments, read the box to be sure it targets Oodinium. My choice is coppersafe or copper power at 2.25-2.5 therapuetic level at 80 degrees for a FULL 30 days monitored by a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna Brand (no api brand). Assure the medication you use states treats Oodinum.
Ok so i've had treated the tank with cupramine at full does. The fish hasnt been eating for the past 5 days.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

NYOS
Back