Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick comment - I hadn't seen this until just now. I agree with @Jay Hemdal and @vetteguy53081. To the OP:

EDIT - I just noticed you mentioned an Ich outbreak in the last sentence of your OP. So - as others have said it could be a combination factors - but IMHO - the garlic did not help.

1. Sorry about your fish loss - its certainly devastating when something like this happens
2. When something happens suddenly after adding a treatment/chemical/etc - and all of the sudden fish start dying - the vast likelihood is that the additive is causing a problem - and immediate water changes/carbon is likely to help.
3. Unless you added a recent fish, etc - disease would be unlikely. (Except - as Jay said - you were treating for a disease with the additives). (See EDIT ABOVE)
4. In the future - try to be sure that you have the proper test kits (I do not think API tests are any worse or better than the others).
5. Another general comment would be - not treating for disease in a display tank unless there is no other way - i.e. use a hospital tank. Additionally - best NOT to mix multiple additives at the same time.
6. There are a lot of supplements out there - that are possibly not necessary - and potentially harmful. If you do use them - its extremely important to follow directions. I'm not trying to slam the OP here - merely mentioning - if you don't know how to do something (i.e. soak food) - you can always come to the site and ask before using or doing whatever you're trying to do.

Again - best wishes with your tank - and please update when you can.

Last edited:
OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick comment - I hadn't seen this until just now. I agree with @Jay Hemdal and @vetteguy53081. To the OP:

EDIT - I just noticed you mentioned an Ich outbreak in the last sentence of your OP. So - as others have said it could be a combination factors - but IMHO - the garlic did not help.

1. Sorry about your fish loss - its certainly devastating when something like this happens
2. When something happens suddenly after adding a treatment/chemical/etc - and all of the sudden fish start dying - the vast likelihood is that the additive is causing a problem - and immediate water changes/carbon is likely to help.
3. Unless you added a recent fish, etc - disease would be unlikely. (Except - as Jay said - you were treating for a disease with the additives). (See EDIT ABOVE)
4. In the future - try to be sure that you have the proper test kits (I do not think API tests are any worse or better than the others).
5. Another general comment would be - not treating for disease in a display tank unless there is no other way - i.e. use a hospital tank. Additionally - best NOT to mix multiple additives at the same time.
6. There are a lot of supplements out there - that are possibly not necessary - and potentially harmful. If you do use them - its extremely important to follow directions. I'm not trying to slam the OP here - merely mentioning - if you don't know how to do something (i.e. soak food) - you can always come to the site and ask before using or doing whatever you're trying to do.

Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 20
Ph 8.0 (it was 8.2)
Mag 1150
Cal 480
Alk (no test kits)
No Beneficial Bacteria crash thank god

Flameback angel died
Blue reef chromis died
2 peppermint shrimp died
A couple trochus snails died

Everyone else is doing well. Those fish that died were the smaller newer additions so they weren't as developed as the rest of them that survived.

Seriously thank you guys for all the help. I made some mistakes I just started this tank back in beginning of May. If I have any questions from now on I'll just harass the forum lol I learned my lesson. $110 of fish lost I feel super guilty about it I couldn't sleep

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flameback angel died
Blue reef chromis died
2 peppermint shrimp died
A couple trochus snails died
FYI - the fact that inverts also died suggest that Ich alone was not the culprit - but rather a toxin/lack of Oxygen. Good luck!!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've reread and reread how did I miss that

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've reread and reread how did I miss that
The store replaced the flameback angel. I was honest with them. I also got seachem aquavitro 8.4. Raises ph and alk. Those were my problems from the garlic. I'll add this and then keep an eye on it weekly. I'll change out the carbon too once I start dosing for ick.

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished my 75g setup. The 48" x 18" x 20". I just transfered everything over and also added a way more powerful UV that hooked up to the canister filter. I added all the old water and old sand to the new sandbed and water with all the rocks. Added a new purple life rock cave. Monitoring PH because that's really my only challenge with the corals using nutrients.

CLICK TO VIEW

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Buckeye
Back