Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were picking poisons I would want to err on increasing Cu quickly before using Formalin unless the experts, @Humblefish, think it's necessary. Tangs are supposed to be fairly Cu tolerant. I did a 5-day ramp on fish that do not display any symptoms without issue. I'll be interested in what the experts think.

OP
OP
pluikens

pluikens

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both tangs have now gone through the freshwater dip and formalin bath. They went through the freshwater dip separately but were in the chemical bath together. The kole went first, spending two minutes in freshwater before going into the bath. The tomini different a little longer at three minutes. Once the tomini joined the kole, the sixty minute timer started. I have a four port air pump in my QT room (office) so all containers had air in them all day. The bath was of Quick Ich-X as directed at three drops in two gallons. After the sixty minutes, the tangs were moved back to the QT which has copper at 1.5 ppm. Tomorrow I'll dose up to 2 ppm and keep it there for over two weeks.

Does that sound good for the copper or should I raise to 2 ppm sooner?
Anything I should keep an eye out for now that they're back in QT? Anything that would cause me to add the KanaPlex?

Thanks everyone!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both tangs have now gone through the freshwater dip and formalin bath. They went through the freshwater dip separately but were in the chemical bath together. The kole went first, spending two minutes in freshwater before going into the bath. The tomini different a little longer at three minutes. Once the tomini joined the kole, the sixty minute timer started. I have a four port air pump in my QT room (office) so all containers had air in them all day. The bath was of Quick Ich-X as directed at three drops in two gallons. After the sixty minutes, the tangs were moved back to the QT which has copper at 1.5 ppm. Tomorrow I'll dose up to 2 ppm and keep it there for over two weeks.

Does that sound good for the copper or should I raise to 2 ppm sooner?
Anything I should keep an eye out for now that they're back in QT? Anything that would cause me to add the KanaPlex?

Thanks everyone!
Less is more at this point slow down and let copper do its thing.

Increasing little doses slowly over 24-36 hours at this point would be my recommendation. :)

Last edited:

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Less is more at this point slow down and let copper do its thing.

Increasing little doses slowly over 24-36 hours at this point would be my recommendation. :)

Agree, and keep in mind the minimum is 1.5ppm. so you can take your time reaching 2.0ppm. The 2.0ppm target is an insurance policy.

Also if you only plan 14 days in copper are you moving the fish to a 2nd sterile QT?

Nutramar Foods

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes recommended to keep them at the therapuetic level for 30 days, unless you transfer. I wouldn't stress about them being in copper for 30 days, tangs generally do really well in copper.

OP
OP
pluikens

pluikens

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to bed last night a both tangs seemed fine. This morning the tang was against a powerhead. Turned the powerhead off and he swam spastically for a few seconds and ended up upside down. A few seconds later, more spastic movement for a few seconds. Now resting on his side. What can I do to save him?!

OP
OP
pluikens

pluikens

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's also losing color and is still now. Is he dead? @Humblefish @HotRocks @dwwataz @Brew12

IMG_20180522_075710.jpg

Corals.com

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are his gills still moving?

The velvet may have just overwhelmed the fish. You did everything you could to save him. :(

How is the other tang looking this am?

OP
OP
pluikens

pluikens

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The velvet may have just overwhelmed the fish. You did everything you could to save him. :(

The tomini has all his color. He's hanging out in one of the smaller pipes like he usually does. At least if there was any bullying like when the kole wouldn't let the tomini near his pipe, that's over now. I turned the pipe to make sure he wasn't just leaving against the edge of the pipe and he turned around in the pipe.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
pluikens

pluikens

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When he was in the spot in the center of the tank where the photo was taken, his gold weren't moving. He's been removed to freshwater until I decide what to do with him after my morning calls.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When he was in the spot in the center of the tank where the photo was taken, his gold weren't moving. He's been removed to freshwater until I decide what to do with him after my morning calls.
I'm sorry you lost him. :(

You did more than most people would have been able to. Velvet can do so much damage so quickly. Even the best at fish medicine don't have a 100% success rate with velvet. Once you see visual symptoms, the race is on.

OP
OP
pluikens

pluikens

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry you lost him. :(

You did more than most people would have been able to. Velvet can do so much damage so quickly. Even the best at fish medicine don't have a 100% success rate with velvet. Once you see visual symptoms, the race is on.
Thank you. From the responses I was getting yesterday, it seemed like I was treating our fish. Thank you all for the advice. I definitely want to have acriflavine on hand for future QT. I have found Ruby Reef Rally at Drs Foster and Smith but before I buy that, are there any suggested sources for Acriflavine-MS? I try to gain as much as I can from these experiences and I'll be updating my own QT notes so I can be even more swift in treatment if/when this happens again with all the preferred meds on hand.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. From the responses I was getting yesterday, it seemed like I was treating our fish. Thank you all for the advice. I definitely want to have acriflavine on hand for future QT. I have found Ruby Reef Rally at Drs Foster and Smith but before I buy that, are there any suggested sources for Acriflavine-MS? I try to gain as much as I can from these experiences and I'll be updating my own QT notes so I can be even more swift in treatment if/when this happens again with all the preferred meds on hand.
We are all fish lovers so we want to see every fish thrive. Unfortunately, that isn't realistic but saving as many fish as possible is why most of us post in this area. We may not all have the same ideas and preferred methods, but we are all passionate about helping.

The hard part is to not take it as a failure when a fish is lost. Even someone like @Humblefish who has done more than any hobbyist I know to further knowledge on fish health cannot save every fish he receives. The important thing is to learn and gain experience to improve the odds of success in the future.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are all fish lovers so we want to see every fish thrive. Unfortunately, that isn't realistic but saving as many fish as possible is why most of us post in this area. We may not all have the same ideas and preferred methods, but we are all passionate about helping.

The hard part is to not take it as a failure when a fish is lost. Even someone like @Humblefish who has done more than any hobbyist I know to further knowledge on fish health cannot save every fish he receives. The important thing is to learn and gain experience to improve the odds of success in the future.

I couldn't have said it any better @Brew12

Like he said^^^. Make it a learning experience.

I/we have all had our fair share of struggles. All you can do is learn from it and better yourself. Share with others your success and hope they can reduce fish loss as well.

Trust me, I had wanted to give up at times Read this if you have time.

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/coppe...truments-high-range-copper-checker-hi702.454/

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I couldn't have said it any better @Brew12

Like he said^^^. Make it a learning experience.

I/we have all had our fair share of struggles. All you can do is learn from it and better yourself. Share with others your success and hope they can reduce fish loss as well.

Trust me, I had wanted to give up at times Read this if you have time.

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/coppe...truments-high-range-copper-checker-hi702.454/

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

I'm so sorry about the kole. Velvet is such a terrible and devastating parasite. I sincerely hope the tomini can pull through. Unfortunately this is the side of the hobby we weren't prepared for when we joined. I absolutely have an emotional attachment to every one of my fish... Even my ocellaris clowns that I threaten with strangulation on a near daily basis. Like you said, every time I post here I feel as if I'm helping to treat "our fish."

OP
OP
pluikens

pluikens

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for your question on acriflavine-ms, I actually think it has been discontinued. I believe Humblefish mentioned the company going under in a post a few weeks ago.
Thanks, I'll pick up some Ruby Reef Rally. I've done a 4-gallon water change this morning and dosed the WC water to 1.5 ppm water. I then did my 12th of 14 scheduled doses to the entire tank of 1.25 ml. I'll likely pick up a Hanna checker for copper before I consider the tank at therapeutic levels. I'll be on this afternoon's conference call with Hanna so I hope to gain some insight from that too.

@Humblefish I've talked with some freshwater guys and they said acriflavine is by prescription only. Do you know if that's true? If so, I can start conversations with a local, reputable fish vet I know of.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Deltec
Back