Fin rot or mechanical injury?

NanoNana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Title pretty much says it all. The grammas tail was perfect yesterday.
I know it’s not ideal lighting but it takes a long time to change lights on the noopsyche mini and I didn’t have time this morning. I circled the one little white dot that was a bit of nutrimar pellet in the water column as well as the injury.
There are no white dots on the fish. It’s eating like a pig and swimming normally and bluffing at the firefish like usual.
Other tank inhabitants:
The firefish, rainfordi goby, tiny baby yellow clown goby, some very small blue legged hermits, a ginormous fire shrimp ( I was shocked at the size when it arrived) and a Pom Pom crab.

The gramma loves some crevices and does frequently share the same area of the tank with the shrimp. It’s not visiting it to solicit cleaning, the shrimp just chills near the gramma’s preferred overhang for nap time. I haven’t seen it be intentionally aggressive.

I haven’t seen the gramma hanging near power heads but if there was a piece of food it wanted I could fully see it getting its tail stuck in a fan. This fish is serious about food.

IMG_4663.jpeg IMG_4661.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Title pretty much says it all. The grammas tail was perfect yesterday.
I know it’s not ideal lighting but it takes a long time to change lights on the noopsyche mini and I didn’t have time this morning. I circled the one little white dot that was a bit of nutrimar pellet in the water column as well as the injury.
There are no white dots on the fish. It’s eating like a pig and swimming normally and bluffing at the firefish like usual.
Other tank inhabitants:
The firefish, rainfordi goby, tiny baby yellow clown goby, some very small blue legged hermits, a ginormous fire shrimp ( I was shocked at the size when it arrived) and a Pom Pom crab.

The gramma loves some crevices and does frequently share the same area of the tank with the shrimp. It’s not visiting it to solicit cleaning, the shrimp just chills near the gramma’s preferred overhang for nap time. I haven’t seen it be intentionally aggressive.

I haven’t seen the gramma hanging near power heads but if there was a piece of food it wanted I could fully see it getting its tail stuck in a fan. This fish is serious about food.

IMG_4663.jpeg IMG_4661.jpeg
Tough to see, but sudden tail injuries with sharp edges are almost always caused by trauma. None of your tankmate are real “bad actors”, but perhaps the shrimp grabbed it at night.
Secondary bacterial infection is possible, but that would need to be treated in a hospital tank with antibiotics. Watch for increasing amounts of the fin missing, possibly with red or white margins, and margins that become smoother and less angular.

OP
OP
NanoNana

NanoNana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to see, but sudden tail injuries with sharp edges are almost always caused by trauma. None of your tankmate are real “bad actors”, but perhaps the shrimp grabbed it at night.
Secondary bacterial infection is possible, but that would need to be treated in a hospital tank with antibiotics. Watch for increasing amounts of the fin missing, possibly with red or white margins, and margins that become smoother and less angular.
Will do Jay, thank you!
The gramma’s preferred sleeping spot is smashed flat against the rock under an overhang. I could easily see the shrimp picking rock and inadvertently grabbing a chunk of tail because the gramma doesn’t ever seem to be in a hurry to get out of anything’s way.

I’ll go ahead and set up hospital in case I need it.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back