Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this video on FiltraBalls while researching plastic bead media. Looks like a viable option to use with filter cups and can be washed. Filters down to 3 microns which I’m assuming is as it clogs.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with the 3 microns, it's designed for pressure fed filters. water running over them will clog up really fast.
It’s not 3 micron nominal. Wouldn’t last in a pool filter. That’s very likely once it’s accumulated debris/detritus and likely needs to be cleaned. These manufacturers quote the lowest and can go but rarely the bulk it will go.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Trizz

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It’s not 3 micron nominal. Wouldn’t last in a pool filter. That’s very likely once it’s accumulated debris/detritus and likely needs to be cleaned. These manufacturers quote the lowest and can go but rarely the bulk it will go.
Bro, it designed to replace sand in a pool filter.

Corals.com

Trizz

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok, pool filters are designed to work under pressure. with a feed pump and canister like a canister filter in a tank these balls are designed to be put in a canister fed by a pressure pump that's how they function and work at their best, but you can install them and just let the water run over them. just an fyi there not new, around being utilized.in freshwater hatcheries. pressure feed systems for some time....
PS if you put filter floss in a reef filter how long does it last before you have to change it out 1-day maybe 2. if you use in a pump fed canister filter how long? 1 month maybe 2, point and case stated.

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, pool filters are designed to work under pressure. with a feed pump and canister like a canister filter in a tank these balls are designed to be put in a canister fed by a pressure pump that's how they function and work at their best, but you can install them and just let the water run over them. just an fyi there not new, around being utilized.in freshwater hatcheries. pressure feed systems for some time....
PS if you put filter floss in a reef filter how long does it last before you have to change it out 1-day maybe 2. if you use in a pump fed canister filter how long? 1 month maybe 2, point and case stated.
Did you see the second video where it’s being used on a skimmer to capture larger particles identical to how filter socks in a sump operate?

I understand how pool filters operate. This is not just for pool filters and not all pool filters operate under pressure. More than one way to skin a cat. Perhaps you might want to research it further before continuing to just assume it won’t work. The information is out there. Or not.

Trizz

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Found this video on FiltraBalls while researching plastic bead media. Looks like a viable option to use with filter cups and can be washed. Filters down to 3 microns which I’m assuming is as it clogs.

wasn't giving you guidance. I was. challenging your knowledge of the statement you posted about them. not for a pool filter' they won't last, by your own post in the video it says for a canister pool filter replacing the sand. so, I can see you going to reply. trying to get the last line word in but all in all you wrong...have a nice evening hahahahha...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Best purchase after using filter socks for a decade - Lasts me 10-14 days each sock:
Amazon:

TOOLSSIDE 4 Pack Felt Filter Socks 4 Inch - Filter Sock for Freshwater/Saltwater Aquarium - 150-Micron Filter Socks by 11.8-Inch Long, Use in Sumps/Overflows​

1685240257775.png

• New design of 4 '' aquarium filter sock, new open shape for more comfortable use, anti-overflow design, even if you forget to replace it, will not empty all the debris from the filter bag back into the aquarium. The three-dimensional weaving of this 3d honeycomb design filter sock imitates the nesting of bees.
  • Premium aquarium felt filter bags are designed to drain water. Unlike past aquarium felt filter bags, these aquariums filter sock hives are permeable, non-clogging and flexible enough to be inverted for easy cleaning.
  • This aquarium felt filter bags provide excellent mechanical filtration by trapping debris, helping to reduce the amount of ammonia-producing organic matter in aquariums. This long felt filter socks also help prevent large and small objects such as sand and coral from damaging your aquarium equipment.

$19.94$19.94

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best purchase after using filter socks for a decade - Lasts me 10-14 days each sock:
Amazon:

TOOLSSIDE 4 Pack Felt Filter Socks 4 Inch - Filter Sock for Freshwater/Saltwater Aquarium - 150-Micron Filter Socks by 11.8-Inch Long, Use in Sumps/Overflows​

View attachment 3172815

• New design of 4 '' aquarium filter sock, new open shape for more comfortable use, anti-overflow design, even if you forget to replace it, will not empty all the debris from the filter bag back into the aquarium. The three-dimensional weaving of this 3d honeycomb design filter sock imitates the nesting of bees.
  • Premium aquarium felt filter bags are designed to drain water. Unlike past aquarium felt filter bags, these aquariums filter sock hives are permeable, non-clogging and flexible enough to be inverted for easy cleaning.
  • This aquarium felt filter bags provide excellent mechanical filtration by trapping debris, helping to reduce the amount of ammonia-producing organic matter in aquariums. This long felt filter socks also help prevent large and small objects such as sand and coral from damaging your aquarium equipment.

$19.94$19.94

I was aware of those. Just providing another option. That’s all :)

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I was aware of those. Just providing another option. That’s all :)
Just a mention also- many options. I love these socks- haven’t changed since last Saturday and can appreciate when I go on vacation- they won’t need to be changed

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a mention also- many options. I love these socks- haven’t changed since last Saturday and can appreciate when I go on vacation- they won’t need to be changed
Have you considered filling them with pumice? They’ll last longer although decomp will contribute to nutrients. Something I don’t worry about. Rather filter something out then mechanically labor over it.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
SR
Back